So, It's Come To This...

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
I was complaining about my nails the other day to my wife, and how ukulele playing was kind of rough on them, and how I don't really know how to take care of them...
She said "Well, I was wanting to get a pedicure this week... why don't you come with me and get a manicure?". And so, I, a 45 Year Old American Male, am going tomorrow to have my first-ever manicure. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I'll update you all after it's over. Could I turn into some sort of addict, and go once a month? I can see that happening, actually.

I bet you will enjoy it and your nails will get all cleaned up! Plus it will probably make your wife happy and if shes anything like me brownie points for you.. never a bad thing right?
Let us know how you made out!

As McGee in NCIS says "Nothing wrong with a man treating himself to a manicure", all the cool guys do it anyway! Let us know how it goes, I'm a 29 year old female and I've only ever had ONE manicure

Hold on Chris. I know a man that has acrylic nails put on because he is strumming his natural nail off. You just might be one of "those" me who have to go in WEEKLY to have their nails done. Hee hee

A lot of those salons have some hotties doing the nails...if that helps get you through the day... :)

Tough for me to judge as I sit here watching march madness while I meticulously file my nails.

...a 45 Year Old American Male, am going tomorrow to have my first-ever manicure....
It's not a serious problem until you go in for waxing. Bikini waxing. On a regular basis....

Just don't go around telling your buddies, it sounds a bit queer (as in strange queer).

Last edited:
Chris, while a standard manicure will help some and it feels good, it's not a cure (pun intended) for brittle nails and your nails won't necessarily be shaped for playing. I'm sure there are probably some manicurists that know exactly what you need but I haven't found one yet.

I think the JT vid that Gmoney posted is more along the lines of what you're looking for. It's a little extreme for me, but maybe somewhere in between JT's method and a standard manicure would be good....

Well, I had the manicure today. It was OK. Other than cutting off about 2 pounds of dead cuticle skin and hang nails, I'm not that sure she did anything I couldn't have done myself. She doesn't seem to have shaped them any better than I do when I clip them myself. She did use more "filing thingies" on them... two or three different emory boards, some sort of "emory sponges" (or "emory blocks" maybe), and a dremel-type thing with about 3 different attachments. I guess after then initial treatment, my nails might start to look better on the ends. The girl didn't speak English well at all, and I was much more concerned with making sure she didn't use any colored nail polish on me! I would consider doing it again in a month or so, though. I'm a firm believer in supporting the local economy, i.e. "Paying people to do things that I can't or don't WANT to do myself". Believe me, there are a LOT of things I can't or don't want to do myself...

Chris, while a standard manicure will help some and it feels good, it's not a cure (pun intended) for brittle nails and your nails won't necessarily be shaped for playing. I'm sure there are probably some manicurists that know exactly what you need but I haven't found one yet.

I think the JT vid that Gmoney posted is more along the lines of what you're looking for. It's a little extreme for me, but maybe somewhere in between JT's method and a standard manicure would be good....

I enjoyed that video a lot. I want to watch the one where he makes a pecan pie! I've always thought James Taylor seemed like a pretty nice guy. That was reinforced when my wife was in graduate school. A woman in her program (who we are still close friends with) had written him a short letter when she was in high school. One of her most prized possessions was the 6-page hand-written letter he sent her in reply. Not many "stars" take the time to do that, I'd bet.

More Middle Aged Male Ukers are getting manicures these days....a new thrend...hmmmm not saying you're middle aged yet Chris...

More Middle Aged Male Ukers are getting manicures these days....a new thrend...hmmmm not saying you're middle aged yet Chris...

You might not be saying it, but that doesn't make it true! I'll be 46 in May, so that's pretty much middle-aged no matter how you look at it... *sigh*

The girl didn't speak English well at all, and I was much more concerned with making sure she didn't use any colored nail polish on me!
So, did you get some clear polish at least? :)

Honestly, most manicurists are doing nails for (mostly) vain women who want them "pretty" and not necessarily practical. A really popular shape these days is squared off tips, not at all conducive to musicians who use their nails to fingerpick. If it were me, I'd definitely inquire in advance as to whether or not any of their manicurists were familiar with musicians' nail needs.

And no offense to anyone for whom English is their second language, but if I can't communicate with you about what I want, then you ain't touching my nails!

No offense taken over here. English is my husband's 3rd language. And while you can chat with him about many things, you probably wouldn't want him doing your nails! :D

Since he shares another hobby with Chris, I read this one out loud and he said that sometimes a guy just has to feel pretty. ;)

Hey Chris -- Congrats on the mani. Felt good, didn't it? I don't think a manicure will really do all that much for your nails other than to keep them looking nice. What I have found to be very helpful is using this manicure file-type thing. I don't know the name of it. It's about the same size as an emery board but with at least 4 different types of "file". Each numbered part on the board does something to the nails. By the time you finish using each file on your nails they look great. They're basically buffing the nails to a high sheen. Makes my nails pretty strong and they haven't been breaking nearly as often as they used to. Your wife probably knows about them. Easily found at the drugstore or salon supply place. When I went to the dermatologist a few months ago she told me to take biotin pills to strengthen my nails.

Top Bottom