"personal soundhole" on pineapple ukes

pepeananas

Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had heard a pineapple with a personal soundhole on the side. Do these take anything away from the overall sound of the uke? Would they affect the structure, or the way one of these ukes with a pickup would sound through an amp. Just wondering. I saw one on the fleamarket music marketplace and was intrigued.

no they probably make it sound a tad better. I put a hole in my dolphin and it helped. The second hole didn't though.

IM pretty sure you get more volume and a better sound quality from your instrument. But some people don't like a hole in the side because it takes away from the traditional uke look.

My Makapili Pineapple

I have a Makapili concert pineapple with a side soundport:

attachment.php

This uke sounds pretty good to me, but as I didn't have it before it had a side soundport, I can't tell you if it's better (sorry!). The luthier who made it played it without and then with the soundport, and reported that it made it slightly louder to the player.

As for structure, this particular uke is reinforced inside, either side of the actual hole, so I'm not worried about it weakening the side.

Hope this is helpful,
Anna :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I saw a Makapili concert pineapple at the fleamarket music marketplace and it set the wheels turning.

Top Bottom