FT: Kanile'a K1 Satin Tenor w/ MiSi

AncientMatingCalls

Reaction score
I've decided with some good advice from fellow members to keep the Kanile'a.

I don't know how to edit the title, but this thread can be closed.

Last edited:
IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

What don't you like about the Kanilea? Granted, I chose my KoAloha tenor when compared to a Kanilea at a festival where MGM had both. Just curious since you've only had it for a few weeks...

I assume you pushed the button on the KoAloha AncientMatingCalls. I would hold off selling the Kanilea if I were you. Make sure that you like the sound and playability of whatever uke you ended up getting.

My first real nice uke was a Kanilea deluxe K-1 superconcert that I had considered selling a couple of times after I bought some of my other ukes. (KoAlohas, Kamakas, MB) But I ended up keeping it and now would not consider selling it. It has a beautiful voice. Not as loud as my KoAlohas or Kamaka, but it has a more complex tone. 2 1/2 weeks might seem like enough time to form an opinion of your Kanilea, but it obviously has barely had enough time to open up yet.

It's not really that I don't like it, its a great instrument. I guess the biggest reason would be the neck profile. A bit too thick, not wide but thick. I actually like the width of the neck. On my fretting hand I've got two fingers that were broken several time play basketball and never healed correctly, so thicker necks tend to cut my playing time. If I didn't have that problem I suspect I would be completely happy with this uke.

dkcrown: I didn't buy the Ko'Aloha. Instead I figured I'd put up a trade thread. Again, it's really not the sound of the Kanile'a that resulted in this thread, as is explained above. If someone is interested then I'll get to experience either a Kamaka or a Ko'Aloha. If no one is interested, then worst case is I keep the Kanile'a. If you ask me neither outcome is bad, it's kind of a win/win. I think this way I'm a little more relaxed about a potential transaction. I'll just let things happen as they will, instead of having to worry about deciding which uke to sell to recoup my funds.

Last edited:
I have had 5 Loprinzis, thin elegant neck, very comfortable.

I have had 5 Loprinzis, thin elegant neck, very comfortable.

and exceptionally light & well balanced, as I'm sure Rick would also attest too. Prices also very competitive with the other ukes you're hoping to trade the Kanile'a for... aah, so many choices! Good luck with the trade! :)

I suppose I should add Loprinzi to the list. After all, this is basically an attempt to experiment with other high end ukes. What I've read about them thus far sounds pretty good.

Last edited:
It's not really that I don't like it, its a great instrument. I guess the biggest reason would be the neck profile. A bit too thick, not wide but thick. I actually like the width of the neck. On my fretting hand I've got two fingers that were broken several time play basketball and never healed correctly, so thicker necks tend to cut my playing time. If I didn't have that problem I suspect I would be completely happy with this uke.

I've got the concert versions of the Kanilea and Koaloha. The Kanilea neck is the thinner of these 2. I'm not sure what tenors have the thinnest necks. A Mya-moe tenor should have a thin neck profile, as they use graphite support rods.

Kanile'a used to have a really thick neck, but I think sometime in 2008 they went with a thin neck profile. I had a 2008 Kanile'a super tenor that's got a thinner neck than my 2007 anile'a super soprano. I thought the super tenor had one of the thinner necks around (I don't know how Kanile'a necks are like now though). I don't have a KoAloha tenor, but I do have a Pineapple Sunday that I believe use the same neck, and the 2008 Kanile'a super tenor's neck felt thinner. I think if a trade is to go down for your Kanile'a, perhaps ask for a measurement of the neck thickness so you're not surprised by it.

I've been toying with the idea of keeping the Kanile'a and saving up to buy a Loprinzi with a radius fretboard. I think this may have been a moment of weekness, and I'm kinda of glad nothing has come of it.

Bruddah jus keep da Kanile'a! I wish I had a MISI installed on my K-1 Satin Tenor when I bought it directly from Joe at da factory. I might just have to send it to him to do it. Keep it, save up da bucks, and buy da next one you jonesing for! Aloha!

Good advice my man, I've been thinking the same thing. It's a quality uke for sure with a tremendous sound. UAS is a bi.. well, I think you guys know already.

Top Bottom