Upgrade to Kala Watermelon

pdxuke

Reaction score
I consider this an upgrade-- others will not:

Added Ping friction tuners;

attachment.php

Also changed strings to Lucy's Old Fashioned colored strings, a free set I got from Gryphon with the new Kamaka concert.

attachment.php

While the strings sure are pretty, unfortunately the sound is dead. I'll give it a week while they settle, but this uke sounds best with Aquilas to me. Anybody use other strings for this, the Kiwi or the Pineapple?
melonupgrade1.jpgmelonupgrade2.jpg

Looks great!!

Aloha Thom,
I've tried a few types on my KA-PSS and like you have found Aquila to be the best match. I'd say Worth clears weren't to far behind.

I put Kala reds on my Watermelon for awhile. I loved the look, but it does sound much better with Aquilas. I may put reds back on there just for the look again. It's not like anyone knows the difference around here anyway.

I just got a Watermelon, yesterday and really like it. Nice little UKE.

Very nice! I have the Kiwi and it is miles above the new ukadelic line (which I also own) and at the same price. Such a fun uke!

I like Worth Clear on my Kiwi. There are also some new colored strings made by Aquila, marketed under the name Aurora http://stringsbyaurora.com/our-strings/ukulele-strings. I have a set of bright green ones waiting to go on the next concert that needs new strings.

–Lori

I've got some Aurora Nitro Lime strings coming for my Kala Watermelon. I'm hoping the sound will be a little mellower than with the Aquilas I have on it now.

Mousie

Last edited:
I own the pineapple version (same uke) and IMO found the perfect stings...
...Fremont Black, high-tension soprano strings. Very lively without being shrill.

Top Bottom