Should I change out my Uke strings?

riceboy927

Reaction score
Lately I feel like my strings are harder to produce a nice crisp sound when I'm plucking, then buzz and sound flatter then usual. usually I can play the intro to banana pancakes no problem but lately the tone just sounds flat. I've been playing a Kala Soprano for a while now since about September of last year and I've been consistently practicing. So I don't know, is it time for new strings?

Easy enough to do that and it's nice to try out different strings on a uke. What is it currently strung with?

What's the uke material? Spruce top? Laminate? Solid? Aquilas do get old and dull. If you like the sound they give you (brighter than most fluorocarbons), get another set, or try Worths or Martins (which are pretty cheap at guitar center). Lotta discussions regarding strings on this forum.

Yeah, you can wear out Nylgut (Aquila) strings pretty quickly, and one of the things they do when they get old is get kinda buzzy sometimes. I think maybe the thin outer covering of gut gets frayed or something. 'Bout a month is the most I've gotten out of a set on a uke I play frequently.

Top Bottom