feelings about tahoe reno festival

soarcj

Reaction score
I really thought this festival was great. Highlight for me was the playing of Kris F. (can't remember how to spell his last name). He is a 20 year old Jake S. The playing by ear workshop was really fun and I learned a lot. The whole thing was organized and ran well. The vendor area had a lot great ukes in it. Watch out for Nalu ukes. They had a vintage looking completely metal chrome resonator uke that looked interesting. They had 26 ukes in the raffle. The concerts were held in the celeberity showroom with perfect sound and lighting. Hirem Bell was also a favorite player that was showcased. The only downside to the festival was a storm that caused the closure of the main freeway in, and some people were stuck on the freeway for many hours. On the way home on 395 I fought almost whiteout conditions, 40 mph blowing snow, and the setting off of avalanche bombs while we waited to see if their was going to be one. soarcj

Thanks for the report...I would have been there if not for the weather and road conditions. Hopefully next year!

It was really a nice festival, and there were a lot of really nice people there! The Saturday night concert with Matt Dahlberg, Ralph Shaw and Victoria Vox and the Boulder Acoustic Society was really great too. They were all troopers, with Matt sick, and Victoria / Boulder Acoustic Soceity group delayed many hours by the weather. Still a great show! Amazing. I didn't get to the workshops, because I had a booth. We flew in and out, but still had delays on both ends. Came home to non-stop heavy rain and wind in LA... should have hired a shuttle or taxi to get home, since it was difficult using the bus. The staff at the Nugget was very friendly, and the room was nice. Good restaurants too. I looked at their pool/ Jacuzzi area, and wished I had more time to try it out. Thanks to the organizers, and all the attendees. So glad to meet so many ukulele folks face to face. Thanks to all who stopped by and said hello.
–Lori

Attachments

• vox_bas_reno.jpg
    vox_bas_reno.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 9
  • reno_snow_sunrise.jpg
    reno_snow_sunrise.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 8
  • ukeleash_reno_booth.jpg
    ukeleash_reno_booth.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 9
I'm amazed at how so many people can walk by with such indifference, not even stopping to listen, be it in this mall with Kris or on Kalakaua with Troy Fernandez playing.

Thanks for the festival review. I'll just mention that the Uke Festival of Northern California is on Sunday, April 3, in Hayward at Cabot College from 10-5 and I don't think you'll have to battle avalanches and driving snow to get there.

Top Bottom