Dolphin Help

mangorockfish

Reaction score
I posted the other day that I had gotten a new Dolphin. I also posted in the "repair" section that the C-string tuner has some slack in it. The worm gear doesn't mesh with the sprocket gear properly. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement tuner? Has anyone ever delt with the Kala/Makala people directly? Thanks

Where did you buy it?? It should be replaced w/o charge by the seller. If that doesn't seem to be the answer, Kala is on UU, they may be able to send you a replacement tuning machine. (many of us replace the stock tuners w/either friction tuners or better geared tuners. I like the Mele tuners (geared) but they are about what you probably spent for your Dolphin. Also Mainland sells geared tuners pretty reasonably. I have a set that came off another uke that I would sell cheaply, but I am traveling this week & would be unable to get them to you before next week.

I found a phone number for Kala and will call them tomorrow. I think the Dolphin will be a pretty cool little instrument once I get the tuning issue fixed.

I think I remember reading where a few dolphin owners have replaced the tuners as a first step to upgrading the instrument. I got a few of them for some classes that I teach and I've really been considering doing that along with some minor fretwork to up their tone quality.

~DB

I change mine out for friction tuners :)

frictiondolphin2.jpgfrictiondolphin1.jpg

I too would get it replaced - for the price of a dolphin, whilst a tuner swap out is not difficult, I just dont see its worth it - if its new, and the tuner is defective, get a new one.

Called Kala today and a new tuner is on its way. Tony was a great guy to talk with and said that he would try to get it out today. Kudos to Kala. MMay switch to frictions later.

Top Bottom