Wow - Aquila concert stings on my Kamaka soprano!

janeray1940

Reaction score
Following up on my recent inquiry about putting concert strings on my Kamaka soprano - I went ahead and did it after my uke instructor assured me that I wouldn't likely damage the uke in doing so.

And - amazing! It sounds almost identical to my concert uke that is strung with Aquilas. It's so much louder than it was before (when strung with soprano Aquilas, Worth CLs, or Fremont Blackline Hards) and has a lot more sustain, especially higher up the neck.

Here's a quick and dirty sound sample.

Sounds nice, Jane. Glad you found something you are happy with.

Thanks hmgberg :) Happy with it for now, anyway!

My uke instructor also recommended Martin Crystal Nylons, which I'll keep in mind along with the Martin fluoros for future experimentation. I had a boatload of Aquila concert strings on hand so I went with those, but who knows, maybe I could do even better...

Very relaxing piece . . . great that you are really discovering the ins and outs of your ukes!

Sounds great! I might try the same thing with my soprano - is the tension different? We also put Martins on my daughter's ukulele and they sound great and are a nice feel.

Wow, that sounds really good, very clear and distinct.

Wow, that sounds great! And the same song I did last week :D You play it better than me!

Sounds great! I might try the same thing with my soprano - is the tension different? We also put Martins on my daughter's ukulele and they sound great and are a nice feel.

The concert Aquilas have a lot more tension than the soprano Aquilas. Not quite as much as the Fremonts, but enough to keep me from unintentionally bending the A string, which has been a problem for me on this uke.

Following up on my recent inquiry about putting concert strings on my Kamaka soprano - I went ahead and did it after my uke instructor assured me that I wouldn't likely damage the uke in doing so.

And - amazing! It sounds almost identical to my concert uke that is strung with Aquilas. It's so much louder than it was before (when strung with soprano Aquilas, Worth CLs, or Fremont Blackline Hards) and has a lot more sustain, especially higher up the neck.

Here's a quick and dirty sound sample.

Strings sound good Jane! If you have a mo, I'd love to here some strumming with those strings!

Do you also have them on the concerts?

Strings sound good Jane! If you have a mo, I'd love to here some strumming with those strings!

Do you also have them on the concerts?

I have them on the reentrant concert (played here, another campanella piece). My low G concert has Fremont Blacklines, which I also really like.

I might mess around tonight with a soprano uke/concert uke comparison sound sample...

I have them on the reentrant concert (played here, another campanella piece). My low G concert has Fremont Blacklines, which I also really like.

I might mess around tonight with a soprano uke/concert uke comparison sound sample...

I love that cover of Greensleeves!

The Aquila Concerts sound good! When I change the kamaka strings from my concert out, I may swap the Aquilas off the Ohana CK25 and put Martins on the Ohana.

I love that cover of Greensleeves!

The Aquila Concerts sound good! When I change the kamaka strings from my concert out, I may swap the Aquilas off the Ohana CK25 and put Martins on the Ohana.

Thanks Thom :) The Aquilas will be a lot louder than the Kamaka strings, and will have a lot more sustain (at least in my experience with Kamaka strings, but the ones I've encountered may have just been old to begin with).

All this talk of Martins - I think I need to order some :)

Wow, that sounds great! And the same song I did last week :D You play it better than me!

Aw shucks Joeybug! Not better, I've just been playing longer is all :)

Did you post a link to your version?

Thanks Thom :) The Aquilas will be a lot louder than the Kamaka strings, and will have a lot more sustain (at least in my experience with Kamaka strings, but the ones I've encountered may have just been old to begin with).

All this talk of Martins - I think I need to order some :)

I'm really tempted to try them on the Pineapple!

I'm quite surprised that concert strings are heavier - I'd have imagined it to be the other way round - what with the longer scale length an'all. Shows how much I know! :)

If you scroll all the way down this page, there's a chart that shows the string thicknesses and tensions. If I'm understanding correctly, concerts are slightly heavier/thicker.

One thing worth pointing out is that the concert C string just *barely* fit into the slot in the bridge on my soprano.

I'm really tempted to try them on the Pineapple!

What do you have on it now?

It does sound great. I agree with Thom - more strumming is always the real test of a soprano, since that is what most people do with them.

Good point. I'm not sure I even did any strumming when I restrung it last night, so I probably should :)

Top Bottom