my guitar playing son and the uke!

fitncrafty

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Well today when my 15 yr old son came home I was playing my ukuele (eleuke) but had played and taken out my first uke 'Buzz'(cause I felt sorry it's been sitting for song long UN-played) a not very nice sounding Samick u-50 or something like that... anyhow my son is left handed and picked it up upside down and started fingering out some chords... then found "I walk the Line' In one of my easy to play uke song books.

Before you know it, he was picking the melody lines(upside down) as I was strumming along the chords... He started to talk about recording and laying his singing over the tracks we were playing. Then he started making jokes about being the Jimmy Hendrix of the ukulele.. funny for sure!

I have been playing for about 6 months and no one in my house ever expressed an interest.. It was fun, even if it was a simple song, nice that someone expressed an interest in what I am doing... maybe a uke bug catching on?

Just wanted to share a story!

That;s great, Carrie!

Now, bring him to Uke night next month! (April 11).

-Kurt

(Tell him that he can use the amp...)

That sounds great. I know nobody who plays or has an intrest in ukulele so i would be over the moon if something like this happend to me.

That;s great, Carrie!

Now, bring him to Uke night next month! (April 11).

-Kurt

(Tell him that he can use the amp...)

He can't Kurt because he has scouts Monday which is why I don't always get to go to uke night... Let's see if I can keep him playing around with it. I don't want to convert him, just get him to play with me. Even if it's uke and guitar.

Great story. In my Freight Train vid I tell the story about Elizabeth Cotten (who was left handed) playing the guitar upside down, because that was all she had. The style of playing she developed is to this day known as, "Cotten picking."

Brilliant news - its always a good moment when the world gains another ukulele player!

He can't Kurt because he has scouts Monday which is why I don't always get to go to uke night... Let's see if I can keep him playing around with it. I don't want to convert him, just get him to play with me. Even if it's uke and guitar.

Have the entire troop come - tell them it is a community service project, to humor a group of citizens. Maybe they'll ALL learn how to play the Uke!
(Insert "Bwa-haa-haa", or whatever version of Evil laugh you use here.)

We can get the Scouts to form a Ukulele Orchestra! (Maybe we can even get it sponsored by the Electric City Ukulele Club!)

-Kurt

Thanks for sharing. My kids each have their own ukes, but they don't play much. Fingers crossed your son get curious again and goes on with it.

Hey Carrie,
That's awesome. Hope he catches the "uku itch". It is nice to have someone to play music with especially if it's a child of yours or a family member. Keep playing especially when he's around to entise him. Good luck, here's hoping for the best..........BO...........

Awesome. Now, get yourself that Les Paul uke coming out, and just leave it out and around and itching to be played. maybe it will be his idea!

Awesome. Now, get yourself that Les Paul uke coming out, and just leave it out and around and itching to be played. maybe it will be his idea!

I've got the Epi Les Paul Uke on order, and if it is decent, I figured I'd let Carrie and her kids try it- I do trust them to take care of it.

-Kurt

That's great Carrie. Makes for a special moment, eh? I know just how you feel.

You probably remember my thread from last month when I shared that my 11 yr. old had caught the uke bug. So I bought him a used flea. Well guess what. Now that my youngest is playing, my 14 yr. old now has joined in. Anything you can do I can do better. Everything is a competition with them in my house. So I just got him a tenor fluke today. Now I am just waiting for my 17 yr. old to join the party.

Life is good!

That's great Carrie. Makes for a special moment, eh? I know just how you feel.

You probably remember my thread from last month when I shared that my 11 yr. old had caught the uke bug. So I bought him a used flea. Well guess what. Now that my youngest is playing, my 14 yr. old now has joined in. Anything you can do I can do better. Everything is a competition with them in my house. So I just got him a tenor fluke today. Now I am just waiting for my 17 yr. old to join the party.

Life is good!

That's so great! I don't even care if he keeps playing the uke so much. Just want him to play music with me (and the siblings). My oldest plays both acoustic and electric guitar, my daughter 10 plays violin and flute, and my youngest plays guitar (electric) and double bass any combination could be good, I am such a beginner they can play circles around me.
On the good front, I have convinced my hubby to take a trip to the fluke shop, I am excited because how can you leave empty handed?

Aloha Fitncrafty,
Wow how cool girl....I knew he'd come around...after his guitar teacher was so stoked...that was essentially it!!! I'd say now you have a new uke partner...I'm sure that uke his passion may grow even bigger than
the guitar itself...like all of us, we converted....uke lessons now together....UUU would be more beneficial now.......eh!!! ahh the turning point and the memories that lie ahead..Happy Strummings..MM Stan...
Hmmm...could the Hubby be not too far behind in join in on the ukulele too??? we'll see it happen soon if it does...hee hee ahh the ukulele domino effect!!! keep us informed!!

Aloha Fitncrafty,
Wow how cool girl....I knew he'd come around...after his guitar teacher was so stoked...that was essentially it!!! I'd say now you have a new uke partner...I'm sure that uke his passion may grow even bigger than
the guitar itself...like all of us, we converted....uke lessons now together....UUU would be more beneficial now.......eh!!! ahh the turning point and the memories that lie ahead..Happy Strummings..MM Stan...
Hmmm...could the Hubby be not too far behind in join in on the ukulele too??? we'll see it happen soon if it does...hee hee ahh the ukulele domino effect!!! keep us informed!!

You know Stan.. I don't know if he will ever do it again. But I think he liked playing 'upside down' it was cool to him.. not to mention. it felt so good to bond with him, even if for 10 minutes.. yeah!!
Hubby and I are planning a tour of fluke soon.. so maybe... :)

awesome Carrie. A little filup for you and some bonding time. Hope the uke does hold his interest for awhile, as , especially when kids move into those teenage years, it's so important to find some common ground with them somewhere. And you guys are going to the fluke joint...sooo jealous. Have a ball. Maybe your husband might join the party too, eh. That would be really special, as me and eugenie like to play some music together sometimes and it brings us closer I find. thanks for the story mate, it's uplifting for all of us. :)

Great story. In my Freight Train vid I tell the story about Elizabeth Cotten (who was left handed) playing the guitar upside down, because that was all she had. The style of playing she developed is to this day known as, "Cotten picking."

hey SweetWaterBlue! I love that Elizabeth Cotten story too mate. Just saying that, if you're intereted, Shanachie have re-released some old episodes of Pete Seeger's "Rainbow Quest" tv show on DVD, including one episode with Elizabeth Cotten herself, who tells her story and plays some tunes. Pretty easy to get online at Amazon.

Right now in Australia, we have an indigenous artist called Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu who is blind and also plays that way. His music is incredibly rich and emotive and worth checking out too...

Top Bottom