Jake using a Ukulele Strap?

PedalFreak

Reaction score
How long has Jake been using a strap on his ukulele?

Wonder why he started to wear one?

Nov 2, 2010
5151964182_cbd6225294_m.jpg

Dec 5, 2010
5243740346_9e089a68c9_m.jpg

Jan 4, 2011
5329397153_30c71460ab_m.jpg

Mar 13, 2011
5531635142_227a0e9f47_m.jpg

is part of a term insurance of your Kamaka ukulele that took effect in July 2010.

Everytime I see him with that strap I cringe at the thought of it damaging the koa wood near the sound hole. He should get a Uke Leash from Lori! ;)

Why do people freak out about the uke thong so much? They're terrific. I use it and I really, really like it.

Why do people freak out about the uke thong so much? They're terrific. I use it and I really, really like it.

I keep wondering the same thing. I hate playing standing up, but when I have no choice I use a uke thong on my Kamakas because I find it more comfortable than the other options.

I'd be curious to know if the soundhole damage has ever actually happened to anybody here?

If Jake and Sukie use it on their ukes I can't see an issue with it. Those two have two of the most expensive ukes around!

I just got a Mya-Moe with strap buttons and used a strap for the first time and I LOVE it...what freedom when standing up and not having to worry about dropping the instrument....hell I even like it sitting down on those occasions when I'm learning new chords and the neck slips out of my hands. I think the straps and leashes are brilliant.

I hope to see Jake at The Canyon this Friday, and offer him a Uke Leash. I have always been nervous about those hook-lanyard straps. They were originally for classical guitars, which have a thicker sound board (I think). The idea of placing a hook on the thinnest part of the instrument (and the part that is responsible for sound) seems scary. Of course, Jake is plugged-in most of the time, so it probably doesn't matter if the vibration of the sound board is restricted. Those lanyards give a different balance point than a Uke Leash, so it is probably a different technique involved to make the neck stay still.
–Lori

I hate standing up to play too. I'm lazy. But I do use a strap when I stand, I'd really hate to drop the uke!

I must be weird... I don't seem to have common problems o_O I've never had problems playing while standing, actually I prefer it... it'd be nice to have a strap, but I do fine without it :p

You can play some things easier standing up with a strap. I'm sure Jake knows what he's doing and has every right to be burnt out on holding up that 'ukulele show after show (for how many years now???).

He's probably still playing the old 'ukulele to see how much he can stress you guys out!:D I saw him a few weeks ago and didn't notice anything different (except for the strap - he still plays pretty good with it).

So has anyone seen Jake with his 'new kamaka'???

If I get home in time I am supposed to see him play Thursday evening, I will let you know

I hope to see Jake at The Canyon this Friday, and offer him a Uke Leash. I have always been nervous about those hook-lanyard straps. They were originally for classical guitars, which have a thicker sound board (I think). The idea of placing a hook on the thinnest part of the instrument (and the part that is responsible for sound) seems scary. Of course, Jake is plugged-in most of the time, so it probably doesn't matter if the vibration of the sound board is restricted. Those lanyards give a different balance point than a Uke Leash, so it is probably a different technique involved to make the neck stay still.
–Lori

What a great idea! Maybe you could include one of your Uke Leash converter things, in case he'd prefer to try attaching the Uke Leash to the amp thingie on the bottom of his ukulele.

The pin adapter of the uke leash is really really really difficult to put on an output jack attachment. Those need a bigger hole, and it's a problem for guitar players as well. All the strap makers make the holes too small if you're using a pickup. I stretched it slowly for the Eleuke, but since that adapter is bolted from the outside, it's safe. For a standard jack, it'll work the thing loose. Again, it's a problem not just for Uke Leash.

There are adapters out there you can google that you use use with strap holes and pickup jacks to attach them. In the case of the Uke Leash it would be an adapter for your adapter. :)

The pin adapter of the uke leash is really really really difficult to put on an output jack attachment. Those need a bigger hole, and it's a problem for guitar players as well. All the strap makers make the holes too small if you're using a pickup. I stretched it slowly for the Eleuke, but since that adapter is bolted from the outside, it's safe. For a standard jack, it'll work the thing loose. Again, it's a problem not just for Uke Leash.

There are adapters out there you can google that you use use with strap holes and pickup jacks to attach them. In the case of the Uke Leash it would be an adapter for your adapter. :)

Yes, I know the pick-up jack needs a bigger hole. I would like to offer a larger hole for those who need it, but I am not sure if the demand is big enough to buy another die. If you could tell me how big to make the hole, I might be able to get a punch the right size and enlarge the hole. The size has to be just right... too big and it will slip off. I am not sure how much these pick-up jacks vary in diameter, but if I could get some feedback from those who own them, I would be happy to make adjustments as needed.

–Lori

Top Bottom