Purfling as an Aftermath

ukegirl13

Reaction score
Hi gang! Has anyone cut the purfling channel after the binding has been completed? I filled the little chip out on the fir top and it looks ok but it still bugs me. Yes, you were right Chuck about a light top. Not very noticeable but still there. I'm thinking of rerouting off the binding and doing a purfling to get rid of the mistaked area. I did a nice job on the binding and really would hate to have to cut it back off but...any thoughts?

On a violin, the purfling is installed into a groove that's cut afterwards, not after binding but after final shaping of the top and back. So it might work, provided you have enough thickness to the wood. Would violin purfling be wide enough to cover the flaw?

What have you used to glue your bindings in with? If HHG then it's easy enough to get them off without any trouble. Otherwise you're probably best to rout them off and start fresh. Not the first time I've had to do this, and if you stay in the game, it won't be the last time you do it either.

Look at it this way. It's good practice for the time that you have to do this to get to a back or top that needs to come off for repairs on someones heirloom instrument. Fills you with confidence when you're asked about such a repair and you've already got the experience to take it on.

What have you used to glue your bindings in with? If HHG then it's easy enough to get them off without any trouble. Otherwise you're probably best to rout them off and start fresh. Not the first time I've had to do this, and if you stay in the game, it won't be the last time you do it either.

Look at it this way. It's good practice for the time that you have to do this to get to a back or top that needs to come off for repairs on someones heirloom instrument. Fills you with confidence when you're asked about such a repair and you've already got the experience to take it on.

I glued it with CA. Thanks, yes you are right. My feelings are I should just rerout it and just chalk it up to experience. Thank you Allen.

On a violin, the purfling is installed into a groove that's cut afterwards, not after binding but after final shaping of the top and back. So it might work, provided you have enough thickness to the wood. Would violin purfling be wide enough to cover the flaw?

I'll have to check how wide violin purfling is. A 1/16th" abalone purfling will hide it so I'm kind of thinking of going that route since I have never tried to do a purfling let alone an abalone one. Thank you for the reply!

Top Bottom