Extreme Build USA cancelled!!!

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Unable to get 12 delegates over the three scheduled venues I have reluctantly had to pull the plug on this venture. With costs close on $3000 and a workshop shutdown of a month I just could not cover my costs with only 8 people who expresed interest in doing this. Maybe next year eh?

Unable to get 12 delegates over the three scheduled venues I have reluctantly had to pull the plug on this venture. With costs close on $3000 and a workshop shutdown of a month I just could not cover my costs with only 8 people who expresed interest in doing this. Maybe next year eh?

That's a shame Pete. I have been going back and forth as to whether or not to go to UWC and the workshop would have been the determining factor.

Personally I had a very hard time finding out proposed specifics and did not find out about it till late in the game. Maybe others were in the same boat. Not sure what could be done better next time to get the word out.

Disappointed Yours.

They were posted in an earlier thread and I also personally replied to most potential delegates. Saying there isn't enough info isn't a fair assessment of why there was not the required number to make it worthwhile - I had very few inquiries for information per se and Harold who had details on his website also had few responses. To get a view - I posted my Helsinki Extreme build (Finland has a population of 6 million) on their very small forum of less than 300 subscribers and within 2 weeks had 10 delegates! I already have 3 for this year and I haven't even scheduled the build yet!

They were posted in an earlier thread and I also personally replied to most potential delegates. Saying there isn't enough info isn't a fair assessment of why there was not the required number to make it worthwhile - I had very few inquiries for information per se and Harold who had details on his website also had few responses. To get a view - I posted my Helsinki Extreme build (Finland has a population of 6 million) on their very small forum of less than 300 subscribers and within 2 weeks had 10 delegates! I already have 3 for this year and I haven't even scheduled the build yet!

Pete. I wasn't slamming you, just relating my experience. I searched UU four weeks ago when I first got wind of it and tried private messaging you as well as email. Your latest email today was the first time I heard about Harolds site which had the detail I was looking for but I honestly did not know who that was. I just now found it. http://www.westhillswood.com/ukulelebuildingclass.html

I also searched through both of your sites as well for info.

For $775 and a three day course, I would have been (and still would be) in.

Thanks

Come to Portland, Oregon, Pete! In the summer months.

I have to have 12 delegates to make this work - it is a very expensive venture that requires a monthof planning and a month away from the workshop. The costs alone for that exceed $5000.... Also, for legal resons I cannot advertise the course.... pm me if you want a lesson in the parochialism of nation states.

Pete, thanks for trying to get the US Extreme Build Tour going. I understand pulling the plug on it, as the numbers just were not working out. Maybe it is the tough economy here.

I would have thought that at least 12 UU folks would have wanted to do this. But alas I am wrong again. (My wife reminds me, frequently, that I am often wrong.)

At least for me, it was a case of wanting or not wanting to do it, but it was just not something that was in my budget at the current time. I think it would be the opportunity of a lifetime for those that can afford it.

Bummer - I was really confident (overly so) that there would be enough interested in Atlanta alone. I was going to make that my summer uke purchase & learn from the master at the same time. Guess I will look into a Mya-Moe or Moore Bettah sooner than next fall now.

Pete, thanks for all of you videos & constant good information you share w/the greater uu community. Would have loved to meet you in person & get the firsthand benefit of your skill & knowledge.

At least for me, it was a case of wanting or not wanting to do it, but it was just not something that was in my budget at the current time. I think it would be the opportunity of a lifetime for those that can afford it.

yeah, I was wanting to do it but with a new baby and new house. $775 just wasn't in my budget.

yeah, I was wanting to do it but with a new baby and new house. $775 just wasn't in my budget.
Pretty much the same situation for me and the proposed LA build. I was considering one of the workshops Pete was offering, most likely the professional set up course. I bet you would get a ton of folks for that at UWC if offered.

Sorry if you feel let down guys - I don't know what I could have done more without unfairly flooding the forum with marketing posts. To my understanding, this is not what the forum is for is it?

Finland is a small country with sane economic policies that has weathered the downturn relatively unscathed. The U.S. is an enormous country that was hit hard by the recession. Folks are reluctant to commit in advance when travel is involved. While I understand Pete's reluctance to assume the financial risks without firm commitments, I'd be willing to bet that he would have had enough last-minute sign-ups to make it happen profitably. Pete, you might want to contact Ken Murray of NY Uke Fest for next year. An extreme build workshop would be this great addition to a ukulele-centric event in a major population center with frequent direct flights from the UK.

Sorry if you feel let down guys - I don't know what I could have done more without unfairly flooding the forum with marketing posts. To my understanding, this is not what the forum is for is it?

I absolutely don't feel let down by you, Pete. A man has to make a living & I wouldn't expect you to take a loss just to suit my "needs." Maybe another time it will work out or, heck, I'll have to look into you making my next uke.

Still look forward to your video's & knowledge you share so freely.

Mahalo!

Don't sweat it Pete. Last year we were geared up for Rick Turner to come down to LA and we couldn't get the prerequisite number of 6 builders together. Unfortunately, I have no space to begin to build at home and these workshops are a great opportunity to makes something. I may have to hit Harold up at his workshop to help me get started on a CBU I have planned. I need to thin out a soundboard made from sinker redwood and I'm afraid I'll ruin it if I were to attempt to hand plane it.

Maybe next year.

My West Hills Wood shop will still be here when you want to try again, Pete.

There were a lot of people checking out the build page on my site, but not many willing to step up. So it goes.

Too bad, nice idea and people tried to make it happen.. I saw the mention, contacted Pete, he promptly replied with the information, but I was going to be out of town..Hope it comes to fruition at some point..Thanks To All Involved for huge efforts ....

I'd be very interested, if you plan on trying again in the future. I am very new to UU.

It's the economy... everyone's fraid to do anything these days. If'n I had the money I'd finance the whole shebang, the knowledge and the honor of meeting ya would be worth it. As soon as I hit the lottery... lolz.

Top Bottom