Uke Building Course - Cairns Ukulele Festival 2011

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
For anyone that is wanting to combine a holiday in the Australian tropics with building their own ukulele, the Cairns Ukulele Festival has asked me to conduct the course this year. Last year was a great time with 12 students from all over Australia, New Zealand and the Torres Strait taking part.

You don't need to be an experienced woodworker. We have tailored the event so that anyone can participate.

Course starts Monday June 27 through to Friday July 1. The Festival is the weekend of July 1-3 2011. More details and sign up can be found on the Cairns Ukulele Festival Website.

Too bad. It's a lovely time of year here. Rest of the country is starting winter and we are just coming into the dry season. Days of 24 degrees C and nights of 16.

Too bad. It's a lovely time of year here. Rest of the country is starting winter and we are just coming into the dry season. Days of 24 degrees C and nights of 16.

When I do make the trip I want to spend a month there. I will look your shop up for sure

That would be a sweet vacation!!! One day I'll get there!

I'd come along as well..But! ..I hate travelling..I don't have a passport...I can't afford it..and Mrs Timbuck hates Redback/Funnelweb Spiders...Snakes...Hot weather..Big Salty croc's..Great white sharks...Floods ...forest fires...Tsunam'ies..and Typhoons...And She dosn't seem to like me a lot either....I'd love to see "Uluru" tho'..and a big Red jumping in the wild...and Kylie in a Bikini ?????:):):)...I hope it's a great success for you.

Great to have you on board.

When I start processing the parts for the course with Micheal Connor next month I'll post some pictures of the process. Lot's of work getting everything to the point where a class can assemble an instrument inside of 5 days.

When I start processing the parts for the course with Micheal Connor next month I'll post some pictures of the process. Lot's of work getting everything to the point where a class can assemble an instrument inside of 5 days.

That would be great! Thanks for that. I'd love to see all the preparation work as well. I'm very excited about the course!

When I start processing the parts for the course with Micheal Connor (alias LOCALELE )next month I'll post some pictures of the process. Lot's of work getting everything to the point where a class can assemble an instrument inside of 5 days.
Hey Allen
I think you may have misunderstood how this all works.
You have a holiday from your work and come down to play in my shed.
I need a holiday too so I drink beer while you make the parts.
Seems pretty simple .
We both get a holiday and the parts get made for some sweet little ukes.
Cheers

Good luck with prepping up - takes me a month to get stuff ready for a course and then I get panicky when I go abroad thinking I have left something behind. What will your students be building - another pineapple?

This one is going to be a pineapple with concert neck. Made out of New Guinea Rosewood and choice of spruce or cedar top. Gidgee fret board, bridge and head plate.

The last course Micheal and I did was for high school students. Standard body shaped concert. Was a huge amount of work prepping parts, building work boards, and accumulating enough tools and clamps for so many students. Trying to think of everything that could and would go wrong and trying to eliminate each possibility with the design and process as you know is very time consuming.

Luckily we covered all the bases and it went off without a hitch. But 12 boys and girls from year 8 though 12 for 5 days was very stressful.

Allen,

Are you going to record, document, blog/annotate, upload tantalizing snippets, or promise the full DVD version? Where do we sign up for the remote learning option?

I'm off to N.S.W. Saturday to prep the kits with my mate Micheal that is helping me with the class. I'm going to take pictures and perhaps some video along the way (when I remember) to document some of the work that goes into getting all the parts together and ready for a uke in a week build. I'll be posting on a couple of forums and my website for anyone interested. Most likely the ANZLF and my web site will be the most comprehensive as UU doesn't really have that great of an interface for posting pictures. It's down right clunky in fact.

Top Bottom