"Separation Blues"

H

Hippie Dribble

1965. Patrick Sky

this guy was one of the best singer/songwriters of the 60's and 70's but is still largely unknown and sadly forgotten in most discussions of folk music from that era.

this is my ukulele version of a song from his self-titled, debut album on Vanguard, with his characteristic acerbic wit and wry humour. I'm using a LoPrinzi bambino.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM7HTSyl8jA

thanks for taking a look! :)

Hey Eugene...that was great!!! Loved it, thanks for posting!!!!

Aloha Eugene,
Nice touch on your rendition on this one...Just love your playing...and your energetic from deep within your soul.. gives your songs so much livelyness....keep them coming brother...Happy Strummings, MM Stan

thanks molo and stan! I love Patrick Sky, he recorded some fantastic albums mixing his own stuff with traditional material. Appreciate the comments fellas, cheers! :)

Another great one, Eugene. Never heard of this Patrick Sky, either. Off to Youtube I go.

hey Tony! He's a funny guy, for sure. In some of his later recordings he got pretty jaded with the US govt and his cynicism was no longer restrained. One of his records "Songs That made America Famous " (1973) is scathing, and was banned for a time, though it's back in print now.

Funnily enough, he now makes Irish uillean pipes and performs with his wife regularly.

Another great one, Eugene. Never heard of this Patrick Sky, either. Off to Youtube I go.

hey brother Matt

if you like what you hear, PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of records of his. Most of his stuff is on vinyl that I own, but I have CD copies of 2 of his records I could easily transfer for you...

That one wasn't familiar at all, but I loved it. Great sound from the "bambino"

thanks Eric. I find that if the bambino is tuned up to Eb it gives the uke a lot more liveliness, resonance and sustain. I've pretty much had it tuned this way for a few weeks now and the uke responds well. Tension is a fair bit higher, but I don't think too high so it may damage the bridge or anything. When I had it built for me Donna said it could be tuned all the way up to F without any probs.

You are just so good. And you made that bambino sing

Man, you can rock that little bambino! I think my fingers have the separation blues - they just won't march in such sweet harmony as yours seem to!

Top Bottom