I'm not a big fan of the ko'olau golds myself but to each his own. I've found that most of the people on UU use Aquilas or Worth's (there are also a fair number of musicians that use classical guitar strings on their ukes). As far as low-G tuning goes you'll have to buy a set of low-G strings. If you lower the tension of a high G string it will just flop around and not much else. Do a search on strings and you'll find many, many threads on the subject of strings. It's probably been discussed more than any other single subject (that and advice solicitation on buying various brands of ukulele).
there are also a fair number of threads on GCEA vs. gCEA tunings.

I bought a set of D'Addario strings for my lanikai tenor. everything went well until i tried to tune the 3rd(C) string. I'm trying to tune normal C tuning. There was too much tension on the 3rd string so it ended up snapping. So now im trying to find out what strings to get...

I'm trying to get the ko'olau golds, but i dont know which one to get. Also can someone tell me what low G tuning sounds like? and if i could just tune the G string lower to make it low G. Thanks for your time!
Which set of D'Addarios did you get? The J54 (black) and J71 (clear) sets are for tenors. Never had a new string snap on me (yet).

i have ko'olau golds on two of my ukes. one set high G, one set low G. no complaints so far. but rubbertoe is correct, aquilas and worths are very popular around these parts. but don't let that be a deciding factor. go out and try them yourself. it's a very subjective matter. plus, test driving different string brands can be a learning experience. good luck!

go out and try them yourself.

That's probably the best advice you can find when it comes to strings. It'll be a love or hate relationship unless it's one of those one night stands where it's fine to dabble here and there with a fling or two but will only end up on the cutting room floor.

On that note, I'll go ahead and say that I dislike Aquila strings. :uhoh: But I am enamored with D'addarios because of their smooth feel and even tone.

There's something about the feel of Aquilas that just don't sit well with me along with the fact that they can get worn faster than any set of strings I've ever used.

Here are some low G sets for the tenor . . .
Aquila also has single low G string available. Ukulele World and Elderly should have them. As far a particular brand, everyone here has his/her favs and your best bet as previously mentioned is to "test drive" some of em.

Last edited:
* Aquila Low G NylGut

Aquila also has single low G string available. Ukulele World and Elderly should have them. As far a particular brand, everyone here has his/her favs and your best bet as previously mentioned is to "test drive" some of em.
I kind of wonder about that last entry, the "all Nylgut" low-G set... it doesn't seem to be listed on the Aquila website, nor does that Ebay entry say they are all Nylguts, let alone give a type number... It was my understanding that the Nylgut material would get too thick for a tenor-size ukulele on low-G, hence the wound G.
Can you give a link to the set you are pointing at?

I don't think Aquila makes a Low-G set with no-wounds. The links above lead to Low-G sets that don't really specify one way or the other, which tells me you get at least one wound. If they had Low-G all-nylguy, I would think they would make a big deal about it to get people to take notice.

Top Bottom