Need songs for kids

MrLarkham

Reaction score
I'm a teacher and I bring my uke in all the time to school. The kids love a good sing-song, but I can't find any good songs to sing - perhaps I'm just lacking in imagination.

We've done "going to the zoo" to death. Any ideas for different songs, or even a book of songs that anyone knows of?

What age are your students? How about writing parodies about the things you teaching them...

For younger kids, Teddy bear picnic, put a little music to 'going on a bear hunt'. They love pop music too... My daughter LOVES a lot of eugene ukulele's music check him out of you tube, he's a member here too.. She especially loves One Meatball, Aint she sweet...etc..

It would be easier to help with knowing the ages.. Kids are great and LOVE all music...

Is it okay with your school if you play songs that are under copyright? When my daughter was young, I would play her songs out of a book of sheet music called "The Disney Collection". Disney keeps recycling the movies for every generation of kids, so they get to know the songs.

What age are your students? I have a whole medley of kids songs that go over great with 3-year-olds, but I'm not sure if they'd work much beyond 4.

Any ideas for different songs, or even a book of songs that anyone knows of?

Flea Market Music's "The Daily Ukulele" has a whole section of children's songs.

When I was a kid, we'd always listen to Ella Jenkins (in particular, this album). I didn't know enough to recognize it then, but it turns out she's a uke player! Probably an early subconcious influence on me. :) Anyway, some great call-and-response stuff there. Let me know if you decide to do any of her music and can't find the chords.

Also, note that you don't necessarily have to play "kid's music" for kids. They like regular old music too!

JJ

I'm a teacher and I bring my uke in all the time to school. The kids love a good sing-song, but I can't find any good songs to sing - perhaps I'm just lacking in imagination.

We've done "going to the zoo" to death. Any ideas for different songs, or even a book of songs that anyone knows of?

howdy Mr Larkham

I have an abundance of children's music, having worked with kids a lot of my adult life. I have a few songbooks, sheet music and many recordings (check out lots of the Seeger family and Woody Guthrie stuff), as well as a record of my own with around 30 children's tunes on it. PM me and I can copy you some recordings and perhaps photocopy some music for you too. Smithsonian Folkways http://www.folkways.si.edu/searchresults.aspx?sPhrase=Children's &sType=cat are a great resource for this kind of stuff, but there are many others too. Some names: Ella Jenkins, Tom Glazer, Alan Mills, Pete Seeger, Jean Ritchie... let me know if you want any more help. cheers mate!

Top Bottom