WTB good soprano

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am interested in a good soprano. Right now I only have a Kala and a Dolphin. I would like a real "keeper". If you have one you are considering parting with please let me know. Price range is dependent on the instrument of course. Thanks, rem

call Mike at UkeRepublic and get one of his Sailor sopranos. It may be the last uke you need. I tried it last night and loved it.

I have a SOLID KOA , PONO soprano with factory pickup. See my ad about on the 12th. Have TWO ads there, other one is a PONO CONCERT. Both really nice koa & they play well

call Mike at UkeRepublic and get one of his Sailor sopranos. It may be the last uke you need. I tried it last night and loved it.

I agree. Best bang for the buck. Seriously.

That would be a good choice - price & quality of construction, may just be the best "bang" for the buck. I absolutely love mine.

What kind of sound and neck does the sailor have? Any sound bites?

There's a sweet little KoAloha Pikake Soprano on eBay right now & looks like it might go for a good price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KoAloha-Soprano-Koa-Pikake-Ukulele-w-case-/180642754593

And another KoAloha Soprano here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KoAloha-Soprano-Koa-Ukulele-/190514427023

AND - a Sprucehouse Soprano w/Peghed tuners (I love me some Pegheds!):

http://cgi.ebay.com/SpruceHouse-S-0-Soprano-Ukulele-w-PegHed-Tuners-/250790436728

There's some good deals there... The Sailor Brand uke is STILL a good deal as well, but I do LOVE KoAloha's!

Rem50, this is such an open-ended question, that it is hard to answer. I originally thought it was a question about used ukes members might have for sale, but it seems to have drifted to mostly a discussion of new ones. (No one I know that owns a Sailor brand uke, is thinking of selling it). In my opinion, everyone needs a traditional all mahogany soprano. Since you want to upgrade, and want a soprano, if you want used, I would look for an Ohana SK-35 or SK-35G. There is no better value in the soprano space in my opinion. You can get a brand new SK-35 for $175 from UkeRepublic. On the used market that goes doubly. I don't own any "high-end" ukes, but I have played a lot of them, and in my opinion the SK-35 sound holds it own against most other sopranos below $400,and even some above that. In fact almost the entire Ohana K series (SK-21, SK-25, SK-35, SK-38, CK-35, TK-35) seem to be favorites of many players with access to upper-end ukes (Middleton, Al Hunt, PDXUke, etc) , yet you can get a new SK-35 for less than $200, and a used one for 50%-75% of that, if you are patient.

My SK-35G is not for sale, and probably never will be, but I may sell my recently acquired SK-70 (spruce top, rosewood back and sides not mahogany) in the future, simply because I don't play it as a much as the SK-35G. I only bought the SK-70 on a whim, and because it was so beautiful from a fellow SEUker, but the damn thing keeps growing on me. Now that PDXUke has two SK-35's, who knows, maybe he will part with one in a bit.

Last edited:
You know I like my little luna honu. They are seventy bucks but still might be something you'd like. they are not shiny. Hawaii Music Supply has a video http://cgi.ebay.com/Luna-Honu-Soprano-Ukulele-Pack-w-Custom-Setup-More-/140527728935?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b81af927#ht_2023wt_9252 I guess you could ask them how much without the case seein' it comes with a gig bag and is a laminate, it probably does not need one. Also they have them everywhere else like Musiciansfriend etc.

Wow Paul. I played your Luna Monday in Marietta, but I didn't realize it was that inexpensive. It looks fantastic. You are right, its a great deal in a laminate.

Jukebox 661 makes anything sound great, and it did require him to do a bit of setup, but you can't complain about this sound at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRvL_SjmPxA&NR=1

Last edited:
<snip>In my opinion, everyone needs a traditional all mahogany soprano. Since you want to upgrade, and want a soprano, if you want used, I would look for an Ohana SK-35 or SK-35G. There is no better value in the soprano space in my opinion. You can get a brand new SK-35 for $175 from UkeRepublic. On the used market that goes doubly. I don't own any "high-end" ukes, but I have played a lot of them, and in my opinion the SK-35 sound holds it own against most other sopranos below $400,and even some above that. Now that PDXUke has two SK-35's, who knows, maybe he will part with one in a bit.

+10,000 on this suggestion. But I'm not likely to part with either. Yes, I have a stable of Ohana ukes: sopranos, concert, and tenor. They are really comfortable and ez to play. They sound great. I love my upper end ukes, but if faced with a financial crisis the upper end could go and the Ohana SK35 would stay. Everything else is fun to own, this mahogany SK35 is a necessity. :)

Do yourself a favor and try one. (Sound Tests of both in my signature line: Click link STRUMMING TESTS.)

SK35 Satin
attachment.php

SK35 Gloss
attachment.php

Thank you everyone for all those suggestions. I guess what I was thinking to begin with was to get a "K" brand that someone was tired of or just was taking up space. I have my KoAloha concert and love the sound and neck it has. After everything I have heard, the soprano market for ukes is very diverse and competitive in sound so I guess I will not have to spend as much as I originally thought. I am going to call mike at uke republic to talk about the sailor uke. I was very impressed witht he sound and extremely pleased with the emphasis on the thin neck. That is one of my favorite qualities of the KoAloha. Am also watching some auctions on ebay I may jump on in the KoAloha market. Ah! Decisions, decisions. Thank you all for your help and I will certainly let you all know when I fire the round down range! Thanks, rem

Thank you everyone for all those suggestions. I guess what I was thinking to begin with was to get a "K" brand that someone was tired of or just was taking up space. I have my KoAloha concert and love the sound and neck it has. After everything I have heard, the soprano market for ukes is very diverse and competitive in sound so I guess I will not have to spend as much as I originally thought. I am going to call mike at uke republic to talk about the sailor uke. I was very impressed witht he sound and extremely pleased with the emphasis on the thin neck. That is one of my favorite qualities of the KoAloha. Am also watching some auctions on ebay I may jump on in the KoAloha market. Ah! Decisions, decisions. Thank you all for your help and I will certainly let you all know when I fire the round down range! Thanks, rem

Rem - Even though it sounds like I am only a mahogany man, it would not be true. I have played my friend Haolejohn's Koalohas many times, and there is nothing quite like their sweet koa sound. But, they are quite different than the classic mahogany soprano sound. One day, I will probably save up and buy a Koaloha soprano for that sound, but I will keep my mahogany Ohana soprano even then, and that of course makes them "keepers."

Rem - Even though it sounds like I am only a mahogany man, it would not be true. I have played my friend Haolejohn's Koalohas many times, and there is nothing quite like their sweet koa sound. But, they are quite different than the classic mahogany soprano sound. One day, I will probably save up and buy a Koaloha soprano for that sound, but I will keep my mahogany Ohana soprano even then, and that of course makes them "keepers."

And I own 2 Kamakas. So, I play different tone woods. I've always loved mahogany. Ohana SK35 is a classic.

But if you are also looking in a higher price point, you should also consider a Kiwaya KTS4. And don't forget a vintage: Favilla, Gretsch, can be had in the $250-300 range and they are superb players.

I talked to Mike at Uke Republic today and really enjoyed all he had to say about the sailor ukes. I am really considering picking one up. Thanks for all the help. rem

Look at the Handmade Soprano ( Blue Frog ) Solid Poplar with Spruce Top that VicD listed here as being put up on eBay today. There's also a video link, and the sound is really sweet!

Bidding starts at $80, with a $100 buy it now.

I'd go for it, but I am NOT suicidal, and my wife WOULD kill me if I bought another uke right now...

-Kurt

Top Bottom