Enable Me

pdxuke

Reaction score
Excuse the long post, but I'm thinking on paper, and I'd like your thoughts...

Now, I'm going to preface what I'm going to write by saying that this thread is not about money. Those of you who have followed my ramblings know that when I buy a uke it's because I can afford to pay for it. The UAS fund is solid and separate from the household fund. So I never need permission to spend money-- not even from my bride.

I was in the local shop today that recently started carrying a great inventory of Ohanas, and I discovered something that I knew, but never really appreciated before: different copies of the exact same model can--wait for it--sound differently than the one next to it. (Doh!) Same strings, same age of the strings. Even in a production line Uke like Ohana. I never thought it was possible until I heard it with my own ears.

Since it's my spring break, the end of this week will most likely end my "UAS season" (like hunting season ;)) and then as I move into the last third of the school year, I'm insanely busy teaching day and night (middle school day, university by night) and stressed and only play and evaluate ukes on weekends. Then the summer, where I play and play and by fall decide which ones to keep.

So, I go to the shop, because I want to end the season with a tenor Ohana, which will give me all three sizes of that manufacturer. I'm at the shop, and I am playing a TK35G and liking it, even the gloss finish, when--

an SK35G catches my eye.

Now, I already have an SK35 (satin) AND an SK38, which sound different. But there's something about this SK35: the finish is really dark--almost like the Martin 1s and 2s were. So I try it.

And the sound knocks me off my feet.

It is rich and mellow (even with the Aquilas, that make it brighter, usually.) And it sounds different than any SK35 I've ever played.

I try it next to all 6 of the SK35s in the store. It's not my imagination. Even the clerk hears it.

So now, what do I do? I can't get both. I can get either the tenor or the SK35G. This will be the last purchase of the season, and if I pass up the tenor, I won't spend the summer with one.

So what should I do? What Would YOU DO?

sounds like you need to get both! If that uke has a special sound of some sort I would go for it. Did you like the way it played and sounded? Hurry before someone else buys it, like the clerk.. hum..
photos and sound samples please.. Happy new uke day! :)

Get the one that knocks you off your feet - those don't come along every day - then, sell the SK35 you already had because you don't need it anymore, then, look for a tenor. If you don't find a tenor that also knocks you off your feet, then keep the money until next "UAS season" and you will have double the money to find something that will.

It's so simple when you break it down into little bite-sized pieces... LOL

aaahhh UAS in full bloom. what a purty sight to behold. :)

I convinced the local shop to get in some Ohanas. They had been carrying a lot of different Chinese made lines, nothing over $300.00, but most of them heavy on bling and, to put it kindly, light on sound...laminates. I explained that a lot of people are initially enticed by appearance, but if they continue to play, they will eventually want to step up to a good-sounding, solid-wood instrument. I further explained that Ohanas look good, in a classic way, sound good, but, more importantly to them I am sure, they would be priced within the store's typical range. I e-mailed them a list of the models I thought they should order.

A few months ago they arrived. I went in and played them all, about a dozen ukuleles. There was one that really stood out. You guessed it...an SK-35G. It didn't just sound good, it was really good. I had to keep checking the price tag. It's only $160.00. Only $160.00! I didn't buy it though. I have a few Martin sopranos, and a few other mahogany sopranos, and I really would like a koa soprano, but it's only $160.00. Additionally, I just knew somebody would come in and buy it, someone who didn't have a mahogany soprano. I let it go.

I went back several more times. The SK-35G was still there. I was beginning to get angry that nobody snapped it up right away. It sounds really good, and it's only $160.00. What's wrong with people? I should buy this thing because it deserves to be bought. But even though I wanted it myself, I just felt that someone would eventually come in, play it, and be absolutely delighted that it was there for them. I walked away.

The last time I went to the shop, the SK-35G was still there. I marched over to it without looking at anything else. I played it for about 15 minutes before a gentleman came up to me. He watched me play for a minute or two, listening intently, staring at this little thing making a damn big sound before he said, "That one sounds...uh...good." I said, "Yup, it sure does." I continued, "It plays really nice, too."

"What do you think of the high end ones?" he asked pointing to a koa laminate, purfled wonder on the wall.

"Well, it is only more expensive because it has all that stuff on it. I'm sure it sounds decent, but this one sounds really good, and it's only $160.00. Do you play?"

"I haven't taken the Ukulele plunge yet. I play guitar."

"Well you should play an ukulele. They're fun...and addictive. You should buy this one and take it home."

Here I am, trying to sell someone the uke I really want. And, I'm doing the hard sell, stopping just short of coming right out and asking, "What's wrong with you? Buy it."

Responding to the "addictive" comment, he says, "That's what I am afraid of." He walks away to look at geetars.

I was pissed. The store manager walks by having heard all of it. He smiles at me and shrugs. I left the store.

I swear if I have to go in there one more time and see that SK-35G still on the display, I'll buy it myself. And that'll be that.

I swear if I have to go in there one more time and see that SK-35G still on the display, I'll buy it myself. And that'll be that.

Sometimes things are just meant to be! I'm pretty much convinced that ukes find people, rather than people find ukes. This uke sure sounds like it wants to be yours.

Sometimes things are just meant to be! I'm pretty much convinced that ukes find people, rather than people find ukes. This uke sure sounds like it wants to be yours.

Jane's right. It wants to be yours. Thats EXACTLY how it was with me and this SK35G. I must have been in the shop a dozen times, playing it. I first noticed it because of the darker finish--it was the first gloss ever to catch my eye.

And I also did the hard sell on some store customers. Nobody bit. And I was, secretly relieved.

I need this like a sound hole in the head. But I AM GLAD IT'S MINE, because, it's a honey.

Go buy that uke :)

I had a caller last night on UKE CHAT (Episode #2) who had 35 UKES. And we're not talkin' beaters, either, we're talking William King, Ko'Aloha, etc.

I'm an amateur. :)

Hi, Thom. Eugene knows my case well. I said 34 ukes, but haven't really counted lately. Loved the sound of your Ohana SK35. Would love to play one, but really don't need another. If you ever decide you don't need both SK35s, let me know.

Enjoy your new ukes!

Last edited:
Top Bottom