FS: Pono PBES-CE Spruce and Ebony Deluxe Baritone Ukulele and Case - Mi-Si Pick-Up!

ukulelecowboy

Reaction score
This Baritone is no longer available

No longer available. Thanks!

PONO PBES-CE EBONY DELUXE BARITONE UKULELE AND CASE-
EXOTIC ISLAND DELUXE SERIES BARITONE UKE WITH A CUTAWAY AND PICKUP - Remarkable looking instrument with back and sides of solid Macassar Ebony, a solid spruce top, ebony fingerboard and bridge, bone nut and saddle, curly maple top and back binding, top purfling, abalone rosette, pearl logo and position dots, plus Grover tuners. With Ko'olau hardshell case. Crafted by Ko'olau in Java.

I replaced the passive PUP with a Mi-Si Active which also includes the charger. This ukulele sounds wonderful with great tone and incredible projection. Presently strung with a 1 week old set of Southcoast Ukulele Linear "C" Strings. GCEA tuning--low G--no wound strings.

Kept in a humidified case or in our humidity controlled ukulele/rehearsal room.

Decorative design on the headstock below the label is a high quality decal from:

www.inlaysticker.com

Can be removed but looks like inlay. The only issue with the ukulele is a small hairline split in the finish only which I pointed to with the red arrow. This is a finish issue only.

This is a really rare model and very difficult to find.

I'm selling because I want to raise funds for a custom baritone ukulele. Price is $500 and includes CONUS, case, and Mi-Si charger.

Thanks!

MainWithID.jpg

BACK_WITH_ARROW.jpg

FullBodyInCase.jpg

HEADSTOCK_CU.jpg

Last edited:
I have this model and it's really both a beautiful uke, and a great sounding instrument. It's one that I play alot. This model is really hard to find. I especially like the ebony and spruce combination. Considering the instrument and upgraded pickup, I think the price is right on. Just my opinion.....

I have this model and it's really both a beautiful uke, and a great sounding instrument. It's one that I play alot. This model is really hard to find. I especially like the ebony and spruce combination. Considering the instrument and upgraded pickup, I think the price is right on. Just my opinion.....

Thanks, I appreciate the support. Maybe someone will be interested...

Hi, I am looking for a ukulele as a starter. I am new to ukulele. In fact was after a travel guitar. After doing some research found that baritone ukulele's can be tuned the same as the top four strings of a guitar. I am going on a bicycle tour of Europe and need to pack light. I thought a ukulele would be a good option seeing as most travel guitars are pretty ordinary in tone. At least I could pick up a new instrument and have something with a great tone, that I would like to play not just when I am traveling. Do you think this would be a reasonable ukulele for this purpose? Is that damage on the back of the ukulele structural or just cosmetic? Would you consider a lower offer? Finally, would you ship to Australia? Regards, Ash.

Hi, I am looking for a ukulele as a starter. I am new to ukulele. In fact was after a travel guitar. After doing some research found that baritone ukulele's can be tuned the same as the top four strings of a guitar. I am going on a bicycle tour of Europe and need to pack light. I thought a ukulele would be a good option seeing as most travel guitars are pretty ordinary in tone. At least I could pick up a new instrument and have something with a great tone, that I would like to play not just when I am traveling. Do you think this would be a reasonable ukulele for this purpose? Is that damage on the back of the ukulele structural or just cosmetic? Would you consider a lower offer? Finally, would you ship to Australia? Regards, Ash.

Hi Ash,

Thanks for writing and welcome to the forum. Couple of things. I'm not sure that this is the ukulele for you as a traveler and/or starter ukulele. Although the tone is fantastic, and it plays just great, it's a heavier instrument and I think more suited for stage and recording purposes especially with the addition of the Mi-Si pickup. And although the price is reasonable (and I cannot go any lower on it) it is actually considered a higher end instrument, and as Pono has not made this model in quite some time, quite rare. There are a multitude of companies (Kala, Ohana, Lanikai) that produce a wide range of wonderful baritones with various tone woods that are lower in price and I think would be a much better match for your specific purposes at this time. The fine folks of this forum can also offer great recommendations on different instruments based on their own experiences.

I hope that I have been of some help,

Mike

Hi Ash,

Thanks for writing and welcome to the forum. Couple of things. I'm not sure that this is the ukulele for you as a traveler and/or starter ukulele. Although the tone is fantastic, and it plays just great, it's a heavier instrument and I think more suited for stage and recording purposes especially with the addition of the Mi-Si pickup. And although the price is reasonable (and I cannot go any lower on it) it is actually considered a higher end instrument, and as Pono has not made this model in quite some time, quite rare. There are a multitude of companies (Kala, Ohana, Lanikai) that produce a wide range of wonderful baritones with various tone woods that are lower in price and I think would be a much better match for your specific purposes at this time. The fine folks of this forum can also offer great recommendations on different instruments based on their own experiences.

I hope that I have been of some help,

Mike

Hi Mike, Thanks for the reply. I really don't want to purchase a lower end ukulele because I am likely to fall in love with playing and want to upgrade straight away. I'd rather pay a bit more for quality so I'll really want to pick it up and play straight off. That is why your baritone ukulele (with case) caught my eye. I intend to modify a bracket to carry the ukulele in case on my bike and also purchase a water proof rucksack for it. In short, I take very good care of my musical instruments but I also like to play them.... every where I go! You are right that a pick up is probably not important for my bicycle travels. However, I read that it is more expensive and also fiddly to fit a pick up to an ukulele post-purchase... I am definitely going to want to play it amplified when I am am not travelling too. Maybe you or other members have advice on that? I am looking buying Ko'olau or Pono baritone but new ones are not really in my price range (which $500 or under) at the moment. So it'll have to be second hand. I guess I'll have to keep searching. If you or your members have advice about where to start when looking for second hand ukuleles that would be a great help. Thanks again. Ash.

I'm thinking of getting a bari. Am still in the early research process though and am sifting through info here on the forums.

You wouldn't happen to have a fingerstyle audio sample (amped and/or unamped) of this uke would you, Mike?

Is this bari still available? and if so would you consider posting to the UK? I am searching for a solid spruce bari but am having trouble getting hold of one.

Top Bottom