Martin Baritone

pdxuke

Reaction score
So, I had my eye on an Ohana baritone, but when I got a chance to evaluate it, it just wasn't for me. The fretboard (l mean the length of the nut and fret board) were wide, and it wasn't comfortable for my mostly soprano accustomed hands. Also, it had high G Aquilas on them, and it just didn't have any pow to it. It probably would sound great with regular bari, High quality strings.

I was surprised I didn't like it, because I've loved just about every other Ohana I've had my hands on. You can see how many I actually own.

I thought maybe it's because I'm just not a bari man, but then

--I played a vintage Martin Bari.

Wow.

The fret board was really narrow, really comfortable to play. Traditional bari tuning, but it managed not to sound like a guitar. Warm, mellow-- I get it.

I'll continue my search for a bari (next UAS season--mine is over until November! :), and maybe I'll save up for a vintage Martin--because it was hot.

Does anyone know if the Favillas also have a narrower fret board?

One last comment: it had friction tuners. And they worked great and THEY LOOKED AWESOME.

So, I had my eye on an Ohana baritone, but when I got a chance to evaluate it, it just wasn't for me. The fretboard (l mean the length of the nut and fret board) were wide, and it wasn't comfortable for my mostly soprano accustomed hands. Also, it had high G Aquilas on them, and it just didn't have any pow to it. It probably would sound great with regular bari, High quality strings.

I was surprised I didn't like it, because I've loved just about every other Ohana I've had my hands on. You can see how many I actually own.

I thought maybe it's because I'm just not a bari man, but then

--I played a vintage Martin Bari.

Wow.

The fret board was really narrow, really comfortable to play. Traditional bari tuning, but it managed not to sound like a guitar. Warm, mellow-- I get it.

I'll continue my search for a bari (next UAS season--mine is over until November! :), and maybe I'll save up for a vintage Martin--because it was hot.

Does anyone know if the Favillas also have a narrower fret board?

One last comment: it had friction tuners. And they worked great and THEY LOOKED AWESOME.

My Favilla bari has a narrower fret board than my Kanilea and feels tad smaller than my Harmony. Don't have a Martin bari, but I do have a Martin Taropatch. Need to get my William King back to check it out and get to play it.

Check out Kala, too. They have a narrow fretboard. Also, my Pono mahogany has a somewhat narrower fretboard than Ohanas I've played.

So you are irritating my UAS, again. :) I would love a Martin Bari. Since my last name is Martin, it would seem a bit fitting to own one! But unfortunately just not in my price range at the moment. I do have a Kala Bari that is my favorite go to Uke. It is so sweet in sound and beautifully made. I don't know if I just got a really good one, but if they are all this good, you can't go wrong. I use Southcoastuke strings on it, and they seem to bring out the best sound compared to other strings I have tried on it. The fret board isn't that much different from my Tenors. Good Luck. Lozark

Martin baritone necks are relatively narrow, not too thick, and wonderfully easy and comfortable to play. Kala baritone necks are a little wider, a bit thicker, but still very comfortable to play. Giannini baritone necks are about the same width as the Kala but chunkier. The action on my Giannini baritone is very low so it is very easy to play even though the neck is a little chunkier. And finally, Mele baritone necks are wide and chunky to the point that I have a bit of a hard time barre chording up the neck.

I like all of them but the Martin and the Kala are the most fun to play.

My Favilla B2 has a 1 1/2" wide neck. About the same width as my Pono. I like a wide neck as it gives me lots of room to move around. If you're looking for Martin styling, neck width, pin bridge, etc., check out a K. Yasuma NB-51 or a C.F. Mountain NB-51. Each are hand made Japanese "knock-offs" of the Martin Bari. I own one of each and were actually harder to find in good condition than a Martin ( which I do not own.)

Mike

Top Bottom