Black Heart Sassafras Slot Head Tenor

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
Here's a wood that most likely only the Aussie's will have heard of or seen before.

Black Heart Sassafras (Atherosperma moschatum) is found in Tasmania. The patterns are caused by a staining fungus infection and produces a wide variety of coloring. It bends very easily, is virtually pore free, glues very well and finishes easily.

This one sports a Western Red Cedar top, Indian Rosewood trim, Grover 14:1 tuners, 12" Radius on fret board.

Attachments

• Black Heart Sassafras Tenor 057.jpg
    Black Heart Sassafras Tenor 057.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Black Heart Sassafras Tenor 052.jpg
    Black Heart Sassafras Tenor 052.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Black Heart Sassafras Tenor 049.jpg
    Black Heart Sassafras Tenor 049.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 150
  • Black Heart Sassafras Tenor 051.jpg
    Black Heart Sassafras Tenor 051.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Black Heart Sassafras Tenor 060.jpg
    Black Heart Sassafras Tenor 060.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 166
Last edited by a moderator:
Incredible!!! Gorgeous. How would you describe the sound?

wow Allen. She's a real beauty. Congratulations on the build. That sassafras is incredible. Thanks for the post mate.

That is gorgeous - the cedar contrasts w/the Sassafras yet complements it as well. The book matching pattern on the back is so precise. What IS the wod for the pickguard?

Exquisite Allen!

That's gorgeous.. I want some black heart sassafras.

Looks great. What are the lines on the sides?....Is that a reflection or the wood grain?

Very, very nice Allen! I've wanted to build an uke out of this wood but the sets of Black Heart I've seen the bookmatch did not seem to quite match up. I am waiting to find a nice set like what you've used here. Very sweet uke! I love the pickguard. Thank you for posting it.

Such a pretty uke. Sassafras....not just fun to look at, it's fun to say. I love the subtle purfling line in the headstock and fingerboard. Beautiful finish, too.

Just one question:
How can I get mine?

Top Bottom