D7sus4

fitncrafty

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Well I have only come across this chord once before and now here it come again, in Joey's Daily ukulele challenge...
Can someone tell me the best way to finger this chord? It just doesn't sound clean and good to me, the way I am doing it, maybe it's my new Bb! ha..

Thanks!

I use 2030 simply broken down the D7 I use is 2020 suspending the 4th note of the D scale (G - 3rd fret of the 2nd string) to make the sus4 then this chord should resolve to the D7 where the G drops back to the 3rd of the chord (F# - 2nd fret of the second string) I play the D7 with my first finger on the 4th string second fret and my 2nd finger on the second fret of the second string then I use my third finger to add the suspended 4 (G - 3rd fret second string). Alternate fingering for me is to use my 2nd, third and fourth fingers instead of 1,2 and three. I hope this helps.

I use 2233. I barre the 22 with my index and the 33 with middle. It's a nice closed chord. It's the same fingering as F9/6 and resolves Gm7 - C13 nicely.

I'd go with the 2233 as well, which fingers to use changes depending on the other chords. Does that work with your arrangement?

Thanks everyone.. I am going to try the 2233 since I think that will feel the best to me.. the song transitions from there to D7 we shall she how it goes..

Thanks everyone.. I am going to try the 2233 since I think that will feel the best to me.. the song transitions from there to D7 we shall she how it goes..

That's pretty simple, then, just pull the 33 finger back to only the first string and you'll have a 2223 D7

That's pretty simple, then, just pull the 33 finger back to only the first string and you'll have a 2223 D7

Just got frustrated as I can with the song- I was trying to play and these chords.. grrr.. I can't stand when I get this frustrated.. I used to 'pump' away at the player piano when I was a kid to this song.. I thought this song would be a no brainer... I will try again tomorrow. Sigh.. my uke is resting now...

I don't know if this will help, but some times I think of similar chords as a passing chord or accent chord and play it accordingly, it seems to fit better. What song are you working on?

Just got frustrated as I can with the song- I was trying to play and these chords.. grrr.. I can't stand when I get this frustrated.. I used to 'pump' away at the player piano when I was a kid to this song.. I thought this song would be a no brainer... I will try again tomorrow. Sigh.. my uke is resting now...

I'm sure that even Jake Shimabukuro had days like this (although he may have been 5 or 6 at the time). I had a smilarly frustrating experience learning the chord progression Am-F-Dm-Bb-G when I was learning "All My Loving." I decided to just play those five chords over and over again, as slowly as I needed to, and speed up as much as I could when I could. I eventually could play the progression at tempo and now I don't even think about it. I think it helped to isolate the progression, because then I didn't have to think to myself, "I can't play this song."

Similar to 2030, D7su4 could be played 0030. Both these fingerings are rootless. With high G tuning, 0030 doubles the G instead of the A as in 2030. It is very easy going between G (0232) and 0030, and I'm sure it would work fine with some songs.

Top Bottom