"Remodeled" Gstring

Gmoney

Reaction score
Awhile back, I bought a Gstring longneck Soprano from Nuprin (THANKS, Chris!) & a bit later, bought a set of Pegheds from another UU'er. I really wanted to try them out on one of my ukes, so the Gstring was selected to receive the upgrade/remodeling/?? effort. Though the geared tuners were functionally & visually fine, the Pegheds are much lighter & I just like them!

So, took it to a local luthier who swapped them out for me. The holes for the geared tuners were somewhat ginormous, so we had to plug the hole & drill/ream the hole for the Pegheds. Here's the result. Its not nearly as noticeable as the pictures seem to show, but overall I like the outcome. I LOVE this uke! the Soprano body & concert neck is probably my favorite combination.

WP_000492.jpgWP_000494.jpgWP_000493.jpg

I had posted the interim photos earlier & for anyone wanting to try something similar, the "plugs" had to be fabricated so that the grain was running the same way (couldn't just find premade dowels) & maybe if I was to do this again, I'd ask that a contrasting wood be used (maybe matchint the Gstring logo) rather than attempting to match the headstock. Still love it. This one is a keeper.

Nice job!! How does it sound??

When I bought it (and actually before that when Nuprin did a video of it) the intonation was off down the neck. Didn't matter to me, cause I don't yet spend much time down the neck! But, my luthier also did a bit of work on the action/setup & it is MUCH less noticeable (or measurable w/a tuner). The uke has a SWEET sound w/these changes & since its still a small uke compared to a couple of my others, it is my usual travel uke now.

I've got Worth clears on it now & I'm really enjoying the Pegheds as I keep it tuned up - if I didn't have the Pegheds, I would have put regular friction tuners back on it.

Don't Google remodeled G string!!!

BWAAAA-HAAAAA. Reminds me of about fifteen years ago. I was at work and I went to look for some black powder shooting supplies from a company called Redhead. Without thinking about it I typed "www.redhead.com" into my browser's address bar. Oh, my, that was interesting! I don't know if it's still the case, but back then redhead.com turned out to be a p*** site and this is before we had filters and popup blockers at work. Every time I'd close one window three more would pop up, even if I "Alt-F4'd" the window. I finally had to give it the three-finger salute to escape.

John

I kinda like the look of the difference in the woods where you had to resize the holes. One of the luthiers should try that

I kinda like the look of the difference in the woods where you had to resize the holes. One of the luthiers should try that

I think it was Chuck Moore who commented on my original ask/update on the Luthier's forum who said something like, "If you can't hide it, match it." I would suspect that the preferred approach for a new instrument would be a headstock overlay w/any such added cosmetic "flourishes. All I can say is that I like the difference in feel, in head weight. With the Soprano body, the longer scale & heavier geared tuners meant that I didn't play this one as much before - now, I just LOVE the balance.

Glad you were able to make these modifications and you're still liking the G-String!

Glad you were able to make these modifications and you're still liking the G-String!

:) When you get your Moore Bettah & tire of your Mya-Moe, I'll be glad to take another of your castoffs!

This little G-String is just a great uke - before the mod as well as now. I love the tone - and its the only one of my ukes other than the KoAloha soprano that my daughter likes (she can't get used to longer scale concerts & tenors, but somehow, the longneck Gstring just draws her whenever I have it out).

Top Bottom