PDA

View Full Version : Bm ?

rowjimmytour
03-24-2011, 11:00 AM
I am having troubles w/ Bm and noticed conflicting chart from URBC and chord charts. On URBC the chart shows all four string barred on the 2/nd fret and G w/ 4th fret which sounds just like Bm7 to me but most charts show only CEA w/ 2/nd fret and G w/ 4th fret. Was this a mistake? Do I need to work on neck position to hit Bm? I just can't always bar the CEA and hold the 4th fret on G. I use my index w/ middle finger piggy backing to bar CEA and ring finger for G 4th fret.

ukulelecowboy
03-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Hi,

First position Bm is:

4222 Your best bet is to barre the second fret and use your middle finger to fret the B note (4th string, 4th fret) Bm7 would be 2222 barre'ing the entire second fret. So transitioning from Bm to Bm7 is simply a matter of lifting your middle finger off the 4th string 4th fret.

Mike

Kanaka916
03-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Most chord charts do show the Bm shape as you described and most everyone who plays (Bm) barres the entire 2nd fret with their index finger and use the ring finger on the 4th fret of the G string.

rowjimmytour
03-24-2011, 11:11 AM
I am having troubles w/ Bm and noticed conflicting chart from URBC and chord charts. On URBC the chart shows all four string barred on the 2/nd fret and G w/ 4th fret which sounds just like Bm7 to me but most charts show only CEA w/ 2/nd fret and G w/ 4th fret. Was this a mistake? Do I need to work on neck position to hit Bm? I just can't always bar the CEA and hold the 4th fret on G. I use my index w/ middle finger piggy backing to bar CEA and ring finger for G 4th fret.

That is how the book I use to practice shows the Bm chord but for some reason I can't get the leverage in the position and it goes clinkkkkkk!!! Practice, practice, practice...

rowjimmytour
03-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Hi,

First position Bm is:

4222 Your best bet is to barre the second fret and use your middle finger to fret the B note (4th string, 4th fret) Bm7 would be 2222 barre'ing the entire second fret. So transitioning from Bm to Bm7 is simply a matter of lifting your middle finger off the 4th string 4th fret.

Mike

For me this sounds the best but I was not sure if that is really a Bm since it sounds so close to Bm7.

ukulelecowboy
03-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi,

First position Bm is:

Mike

Sorry, I meant ring finger...

chiefnoda
03-24-2011, 11:21 AM
for some reason I can't get the leverage in the position and it goes clinkkkkkk!!!

Hi

You will get better soon. Don't worry.

On the other hand, keep in mind that you will never ever stop. Stopping the music to get clean Bm is not a good idea. Music must go on, and the worst thing you do is to stop. Never stop. Never. It's far better to play a buzzy chord and to keep time than stop to play a clean chord.

Cheers
Chief

SailingUke
03-24-2011, 11:34 AM
The note you need is the B on the G string.
It is the fourth fret fourth string. Whatever you do behind it does not matter, which is why most of use barre the second fret.
The bottom line is as Chief said is to get into the chord on the beat, so do whatever shape is easiest for you to transition from chord to chord.

ukulelecowboy
03-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi

You will get better soon. Don't worry.

On the other hand, keep in mind that you will never ever stop. Stopping the music to get clean Bm is not a good idea. Music must go on, and the worst thing you do is to stop. Never stop. Never. It's far better to play a buzzy chord and to keep time than stop to play a clean chord.

Cheers
Chief

I agree. Keeping time is everything. As your fretting hands strengthens, the barre chords will be cleaner. Make sure your thumb is support the neck from the back. That will help with leverage.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
03-24-2011, 12:24 PM
In the interests of "keeping time", please feel free to use the practice sheets in the Boot Camp and Free Songbook in the links below my signature.

Ukulele playing is all about knowing the chords and being able to transition from chord to chord in time with the rhythm of the song.

keep uke'in',

Ukulele JJ
03-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I used to have a real hard time making a Bm. Sometimes it seemed like that Bm was never going to come out right. I'd grunt, swear, try different positions, you name it. But still no Bm--or at least not a good, clean one.

But, like anything else, it just takes experience. Now my Bm's are easy for me and not nearly as sloppy as they used to be. I don't even think about them half the time--they just happen.

You'll get there too. It's just a matter of sitting down and doing Bm after Bm.

JJ

OldePhart
03-24-2011, 12:38 PM
For me this sounds the best but I was not sure if that is really a Bm since it sounds so close to Bm7.

On a reentrant tuned uke the difference between a Bm and Bm7 is fairly subtle to the ear and in most keys you can actually play a Bm7 and it will be okay. However, you should learn to finger the Bm7 well because if you ever start playing a uke tuned low-G the difference between Bm and Bm7 is much more pronounced.

Also, there are many other "closed" chords formed by barring all of the strings with your index finger and learning those will open up entire new horizons.

It's just a matter of practice, practice, practice and...one day you realize you don't even think about it when you have to barre all the frets.

John

rowjimmytour
03-24-2011, 01:33 PM
I agree. Keeping time is everything. As your fretting hands strengthens, the barre chords will be cleaner. Make sure your thumb is support the neck from the back. That will help with leverage.

Uncle rod I am using both and I am only three months in but really amazed how your boot camp has helped. Thanks a million and I agree to keep on going no matter what clinker you hit just ask my wife and son :) Like I mentioned I get the best results barring the 2nd fret w/ my index finger and middle finger piggy backing on top for CEA. Then I use my ring finger for the 4th fret on G. I was just worried about pciking up bad habits and having to learn the chord again.

mm stan
03-24-2011, 03:04 PM
It depends on what you're transitioning to and from to use the barr or not.. to make it smooth quick and efficent....I hope it helps, good luck MM Stan