UKE CHAT Saturday: Need Questions on Strings

pdxuke

Reaction score
Well, it's official: our Uke Chat call in live radio show on Saturday will have special guest Dirk Wormhoudt from Southcoast Ukes. The topic will be strings.

You can call in live with questions: we start at 10am PST this Saturday, 3/26. The show is also archived afterwards for on demand play.

If you can't tune in live, you can still ask a question: just email me at ukechat@gmail.com with your questions about uke strings. The sooner the better on the questions :)

Hope you can join us:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ukechat

We are scheduled for two hours, but may just go an hour. I'm still seeing what works best for this--and I'd welcome your input at the same email address above.

Thom

Thom

Hey Thom. I haven't caught your show live yet but I signed up and listened to the on demand. I think this is a great idea. My problem is most Saturday night gigs I get start at 9 or 10 and go to 1 or 2.
One question you might want to discuss about strings is when stringing your uke "Low G" what works best a wound or unwound G string. I use "Low G" tuning a lot and have Aquilas on but it had a wound low G and it unraveled rather quickly plus I felt it did not sound the same as the plain strings. I still have Aquilas on 1-3 but have gone with a plain Fremont Clear low G and I'm liking what I hear. What other sets or strings are others using when going low G.

Hey Thom. I haven't caught your show live yet but I signed up and listened to the on demand. I think this is a great idea. My problem is most Saturday night gigs I get start at 9 or 10 and go to 1 or 2.
One question you might want to discuss about strings is when stringing your uke "Low G" what works best a wound or unwound G string. I use "Low G" tuning a lot and have Aquilas on but it had a wound low G and it unraveled rather quickly plus I felt it did not sound the same as the plain strings. I still have Aquilas on 1-3 but have gone with a plain Fremont Clear low G and I'm liking what I hear. What other sets or strings are others using when going low G.

Thanks for the question.

BTW, the live show time is 10am to Noon Saturday. Of course, if you gig late Friday you may not want to get up :)

I use Southcoastukes strings almost exclusively and think they are the best. Really curious about how they make their wounds, as they are a bit different than regular wounds. The are much smoother, seem to stay wound much longer, and don't make the metal noise I have found on other wounds. They must do something different? Really hate it I won't be able to tune in, but would appreciate a posting of the interview if possible? Thanks! Lozark

I use Southcoastukes strings almost exclusively and think they are the best. Really curious about how they make their wounds, as they are a bit different than regular wounds. The are much smoother, seem to stay wound much longer, and don't make the metal noise I have found on other wounds. They must do something different? Really hate it I won't be able to tune in, but would appreciate a posting of the interview if possible? Thanks! Lozark

Thanks Lozark. I'll ask Dirk that question.

The show will be archived (the first two are up already) at the station site.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ukechat

Aloha Thom,
Congratulations on the Talk live radio show.. How cool man...And Dirk is a really cool guy just as you man....thanks for the heads up....Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Thanks for the question.

BTW, the live show time is 10am to Noon Saturday. Of course, if you gig late Friday you may not want to get up :)

Now how did I mess that up? I thought it was 10pm. 2nd and 4th Saturdays I start teaching at 9am but the other 2 (or 3) I don't start til 1pm so I'll be able to tune in on some of the shows.

Thom, you da man! That's awesome....and now I might be able to catch it live ....8pm PST is past my East Coast bedtime ;-)

Are there any plans for a 6 and 8 string set?

Show Times (LIVE) for this Saturday's Uke Chat:

Hawaii Time: 7am -9am
Alaska Time: 9am-11am
Pacific Time: 10am-Noon
Mountain Time: 11am-1pm
Central Time: Noon-2pm
Eastern Time: 1pm-3pm
GMT +0: 5pm-7pm

Hope you can call in. Note that we may only go an hour--we'll see how it goes.

Top Bottom