Update To Strum Tests

pdxuke

Reaction score
SK35. Don't get me wrong, the SK38 is very nice, but the difference in sound, while there, is slight. Both are superb. You would be happy with either.

Thanx. I do like the "Martin" mahogany sound and I hadn't realised the SK35 was so close to the 38 in sound :cheers:

Thanx. I do like the "Martin" mahogany sound and I hadn't realised the SK35 was so close to the 38 in sound :cheers:

It is interesting that some draw a different conclusion on this. When I did my sound sample comparison of Ken Middleton's playing on the SK-35 and SK-38, there seemed to be a lot of difference in sound, but Ken was playing different songs. I also know Ken commented the sound was quite different.

When I did my own comparison and posted it on YT, I didn't detect as much difference, although there is clearly some, and since the SK-38 only has 12 frets, it invites harder strumming, and the notes seem more distinct on finger picking. In Thom's strumming tests, I don't detect as much difference either.

The SK-38 looks cooler right out of the box, if you like that classic Martin look. It will probably take 10-20 years for my SK-35G to acquire that dark brown patina.

It is interesting that some draw a different conclusion on this. When I did my sound sample comparison of Ken Middleton's playing on the SK-35 and SK-38, there seemed to be a lot of difference in sound, but Ken was playing different songs. I also know Ken commented the sound was quite different.

When I did my own comparison and posted it on YT, I didn't detect as much difference, although there is clearly some, and since the SK-38 only has 12 frets, it invites harder strumming, and the notes seem more distinct on finger picking. In Thom's strumming tests, I don't detect as much difference either.

The SK-38 looks cooler right out of the box, if you like that classic Martin look. It will probably take 10-20 years for my SK-35G to acquire that dark brown patina.

I agree with this. There is a slight sound difference, IMHO; most of it is cosmetic--but lovely cosmetics!

Great thread! Love to hear A/B tests of different ukes. I really gives you a feel for how they compare. Keep up the great work!

Top Bottom