Would ya look at this...

philpot

Reaction score
Last edited:
DANG! That's a old Ohto-San Kamaka! You can see the outline of the two pickguards you usually see on each side of the upper bout. Bing search "Kamaka Ohta-San" & you'll see many examples.

This is probably a really expensive vintage Kamaka!

DANG! That's a old Ohto-San Kamaka! You can see the outline of the two pickguards you usually see on each side of the upper bout. Bing search "Kamaka Ohta-San" & you'll see many examples.

Thats what I was thinking. Well, its ebay, so theres two ways this could end. Some lucky uker will get a good deal on a nice uke, or someone will drive the price up obscenely and ruin it for everyone ;)

Thats what I was thinking. Well, its ebay, so theres two ways this could end. Some lucky uker will get a good deal on a nice uke, or someone will drive the price up obscenely and ruin it for everyone ;)

Or an auction "sniper" will get it for somewhat less than its expected value. "Ukulele Friend" has these listed in the 10's of thousands.

Aloha Gmoney,
I think that's not a Ohta san model but a custom order or special order....and the transparent plastic pick guards are hell to get off without damaging the finish...nothing that special to me at least..
I played many Ohta san's and Have one now that my friend lent to me...it looks nothing like one except for the bell bout...too plain man...I'd pay 500.00 the most for this one, but that's me...
And the price Shawn sells his for is outragous....sorry to say way over priced...you can tell...they never sell for a long time.. they are geared for the rich japanese tourists...

Last edited:
The label seems to say "Merry Christmas 1987" with some names and the label appears to be signed by Mr Kamaka, and the text is the same writing as the signature. Could it be possible that it is a custom made by Mr Kamaka for someones Christmas present in 1987? Anyway I have no interest in it, good luck to whoever gets it at whatever price.

Yep, a pretty sweet Xmas present for whoever at the time - I bet it cleans up nice though. Still interested to see how high it goes.

Aloha Gmoney,
I think that's not a Ohta san model but a custom order or special order....and the transparent plastic pick guards are hell to get off without damaging the finish...

Thanks for that update - I didn't think about transparent pick guards; but at second glance - that is what they appear to be rather than residue from the opaque guards that sometime are seen on this body style. I'm mostly in agreement on the price - at least for me since I'm going to try & refrain from random purchases & concentrate my efforts/$$ on a couple of specific ukes for the remainder of the year.

Still going to watch this one to see where it goes. And... have to agree on the "uke friend" prices - I wondered who had THOSE deep pockets!

Mahalo

If it is legit - good luck. But the double k on the headstock seems a little low - usually it is displayed closer to the top of the headstock.

Top Bottom