Rebecca Black "Friday Cover" LOL

I do have to say one thing about the original - I think it is the first song I have heard that is so vapid, stupid, useless, without merit, and just plain annoying that every cover I have heard is less annoying than the original! That, my friends, is quite an achievement!

John

I agree with this:
http://www.behindthehype.com/social...ideo-fridays-are-cool-but-are-they-this-cool/

One other thing - when they're 'drivin on the highway' the green-screen city they have in the background is apparently Auckland, NZ (it's horizontally flipped). Which means they're probably heading to North Shore City, on a stretch of motorway with the highest density of traffic cops in the country. They'd be pulled over, have their car keys seized, the car probably towed, all taken back to the station, then likely even taken home. Now that's just irresponsible - treating our good people in blue like a taxi/babysitting service when they should be out catching murderers and rapists. I hope their parents get charged and this somehow winds up on Motorway Patrol :)

To be honest, I think that for her age she has a very good voice (I saw her sing this song acoustically on Good Morning America, she's not half bad really) so really it comes down to an awful, awful song with awful, awful lashings of autotune and an awful, awful token rap verse.

Last edited:
The problem is not the song. The problem is the fact that parents are helping--some are pushing-- their children to become child "celebrities": financing music videos and feeding into this culture of celebrity. I heard that in a survey where students were asked whether they'd rather be famous or have a successful career, a stunning percentage said famous. We now live in a world where more people than ever--most without talent--can be famous. It disturbs me. It worries me.

The problem is not the song. The problem is the fact that parents are helping--some are pushing-- their children to become child "celebrities": financing music videos and feeding into this culture of celebrity. I heard that in a survey where students were asked whether they'd rather be famous or have a successful career, a stunning percentage said famous. We now live in a world where more people than ever--most without talent--can be famous. It disturbs me. It worries me.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. When you read about this girl - dancing lessons at 3, singing and acting lessons at 10, signed to a modelling agency at 11 - you just have to wonder: Do her parents need a reality check? Are they living vicariously through her? I know that one thing you can do in your life is to work hard to make your child's life easier and thus continue the cycle of at least two generations before you (where they walked 10 miles uphill both ways in the snow each day and ate mud because they had respect, and obviously no ukuleles), but where do you draw the line? If I have a 3 year old kid, I want them to be experiencing the wonders of a sandpit. Not dressed up in some creepy faux-adult way that makes shrinks just rub their hands in glee with dollar signs appearing in their eyes. Singing and acting lessons at 10? OK, not every child is going to be the next Wil Wheaton (I chose him as I'm re-watching all of Star Trek TNG at the moment, also he's hilarious on The Big Bang Theory), modelling agency at 11??? That is just f***ing creepy.

Watching the music video though, early on when she's at the bus stop and sings "I see my friends" and there's a shot of her underage 'friends' in a convertible... one (a non-American with many American friends/colleagues) just has to ask: is that typically the image of normality that's being portrayed to American youth these days? I mean, our age of consent in NZ is 16, and we even find the whole "sweet sixteen" thing creepy, well... except for our creeps of course, but that knows no borders. Obviously the questions continue along the lines of the article link I put in my last post...

Last edited:
JYukulele was that you in the video? Nice job!

Top Bottom