New Vintage Uke Day!

R

RyanMFT

I am very excited to share my latest ukulele......a Favilla Teardrop!

It showed up today, a week earlier than I thought it would....how lucky is that! This is a solid mahogany ukulele. It was FILTHY when I got it, but appears to hardly ever have been played. I worked on cleaning it for a quite some time. I was delighted to find that the original tuners are in quite good shape. It must have lived in the home of a smoker, as when I cleaned it, it just reeked of cigarette smoke. Most of that is gone now and the pictures don't do it justice. It is really beautiful.....and it is my loudest and fullest sounding soprano.

This is my second Favilla, and I thought it would be good as my other one is every bit as good a uke as is my Martin! It is well balanced, easy to hold, and did I mention that it is LOUD! A full and bright sound, I love it!

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

Last edited:
Aloha Ryan,
Congratulations, nice score man....looks in excellent condition....put one of the hanging automotive air fresheners in the case...cut the plastic package and leave it the top by the tuners...it will help
ellivate the smoky smell and smell sweet when you play it...as the vibrations from the sound will push that sweet air out of the soundhole...make sure to leave it in the package ir it can damage the
finish.....Happy and Pleasant Smelling Strummings...puts me in a good mood too... wow MM Stan

Thanks Stan! All the smell came off the outside of the uke, but the inside smelled pretty bad. I remembered a trick I saw used by Frank Ford at Gryphon Stringed Instruments, which I just tried and wow, what a difference.

I used rice....plain dry rice. Poured some in the soundhole, put some painters tape over the soundhole, then shook and twisted and shimmied (the uke, not me!). What a difference. That white rice came out a dark grey and the inside doesn't smell anymore. Plus, it looks really nice and clean when I look inside now!

It is in great shape, thanks. The Mahogany is quilted across some of the grain on the front and back, which is really pretty to me!

Just wanted to add some pictures I took in the daylight....
IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool looking uke! Nice score, and the rice trick is awesome/disgusting/effective!

Sweet uke. Let us know how comfortable it is to play. I would struggle with the small body.

Ryan: Now that is AWESOME looking. I really love it, and I'm also going to remember the rice trick. I would LOVE to hear a sound clip!

Sweet looking Uke!!! Congratulations!!!

Saw one on eBay a couple of weeks back - was that this one? It DOES look in great shape. Love how well it cleaned up. Can't wait to hear it.

Aloha Ryan,
Congrats on your latest aquisition, it looks new to me. Spring is here and I haven't forgottened about our uke session. Will PM you when the weather gets better for a BBQ and uke jam. ...............................BO......................

Wow, cool lookin uke. Is there anymore wall space or do you need to move one or more to my house:)
Congrats bro!
don

Thanks to all for your kind words....to answer a some of the questions.....

Kaui808 - It is a pleasure to play and the body isn't really smaller than a regular soprano. I will post a picture below with it next to my regular Favilla.

Gmoney - I was watching that one a few weeks ago on eBay but this is not that uke. That one had some play wear and sold for almost $100 more than I paid!

Bo - You let me know, and we will jam! Are you coming to the Hayward Ukulele Festival? If so, let's meet up!

Don - My uke's are ready for a jam at my house anytime brother!

Mike - I think that colored logo U4 is cool and I saw it on eBay but the old price was WAY out of line. It has binding and a fancy logo, but other than that, it is a mahogany soprano.....

This teardrop was so dirty when I got it, I was blown away. I love the brass tuners Favilla used. Strangely, on both of my Favilla's they used a steel washer, which I have changed to brass. Here are a couple pics of "before". I actually thought the fretboard might be ebony because it was black....but it was just cigarette tar!
Next to Favilla Soprano (not cleaned)
IMG_2468.jpg

DIRTY!
IMG_2461.jpg

CLEAN!
IMG_2499.jpg

Congratulations!! That is a beauty!!! Chance for a sound clip????? (please!!!)

Join up at the Vintage Uke Lovers group!!!!!

Top Bottom