Tuning my Lanikai 8 String to a Tahitian Ukulele Setup.

Cudda_Kine

Reaction score
I have a 8 String Lanikai and I wanted to buy some fishing line since Tahitian Ukuleles use a certain pound of Fishing line. I was wondering what exact lbs rate are each of the strings for the Tenor Ukulele. I know on wikipedia, it says from 30 lbs to 60 lbs. Could you tell me which exact strings? I'm guessing the 30 lbs fishing line is for the High E string.:D

The twangy sound of tahitian ukes comes from the small volume of the body more-so than the strings.

Cudda_kine,

You use the same lbs test line for all the strings.

Gerald

Hello Gerald,

I've heard this before about Tahitian stringing. It makes no sense. I've got a customer who is now building his own version of these instruments (they look gorgeous - different, but gorgeous). The one thing that has bedeviled him are strings. I've been giving him a little help, but he started out with your system - same gauge for everything. Said they were horrible.

Is there some reason for this approach, or is it just that the Tahitians take a roll of fishing line, string it up along all courses, and live with the consequences?

yeah, all the strings use the same gauge. it's not a "law", it's just what everyone does.
if the scale is long, like tenor (17"), you'll need a fishing line that supports more weight, which are generally in the 0,40 - 0,45 up to 0,50
in shorter ukeleles you can use smaller gauge like the 0,35 - 0,40

the ukeleles feel different when you play with different gauges. it's like stringing guitars with low - medium - high tension strings.

i live with the consequences of using the same gauge jajajajajaja
it's not big deal
the most sought after brand is the Tortue Super Fluor 0,40 and 0,45. the yellow one.

Could someone explain gauges and stuff in layman's terms. The last time mine was strung was in Tahaiti so I'm not really sure what was used. The fishing line section at the store just looks like a confusing mess to me. I know how to string my it, I just don't know which string to get...

Top Bottom