PDA

View Full Version : Should I be wearing protective goggles? (string tension)

ReaderMo
03-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Hello!
I'm new. I ran a search for my question, and read some posts, but I wanted to ask this question. Forgive me if it's already been asked and answered. I found a lot of similar questions, and I may have overlooked the answer.

I have tenor strings on my baritone ukulele. It's tuned like a soprano, high G and all. I bought a baritone thinking it would be a better fit for me (being a robust gentleman) but not realizing that it was essentially a little guitar (which is cool, and I LOVE the instrument, but I really dig that classic uke sound).

My concern is that the strings just seem a little too tight. I tune it with the strings facing away from me for fear that they will snap and take out an eye. But my MAIN concern is that my neck with crack, snap, pop, and fly across the room. Health insurance will take care of any injuries, but I don't have uke insurance for that precious neck.

Is it possible that my instrument is in danger of getting a warped, bent, or broken neck? should i unstring it and take it to a chiropractor?

thanks!

PhilUSAFRet
03-25-2011, 03:29 AM
Lots of good string info on UU, but these folks have some of the best info and will be able to give you answers you won't find elsewhere.

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide.htm

ukulelecowboy
03-25-2011, 05:04 AM
Southcoast is a great place for comprehensive information on strings. Well researched and I love their strings. I play baritone only and I have several instruments strung with high g "C" tuning. I have used tenor strings and I have used low G baritone strings and replaced heavier gauge G string with a narrower one for high G. I never have had any problems. As for as neck warpage, etc. I haven't had any problems in this area either but if you're concerned, you might want to invest in a Bari with a truss rod. Pono's have adjustable truss rods, Mele's have fixed, non-adjustable.

ReaderMo
03-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the link/info! after a few days of playing the bari with high-tuned tenor strings, it's really sounding sweet. It's got that high, percussive ukulele sound, but it's very thick & resonant. And the strings have settled into place, and don't feel frighteningly tight any more. Life is sweet :)

LoMa
03-26-2011, 08:13 AM
If the strings don;t seem too tight to you then it's probably okay.

But you do want to be careful with using too a string tension on ukes, most of which donlt have a truss rod for neck adjustments. The other thing that a constant too hihg string tension could cause is belly sinking which can affect the action, and worst case, brige lifting. So just make the string tension feels reasonable. If it's scary, it's too tight!