PDA

View Full Version : Goldtone Baritone Banjolele Review

lindydanny
03-25-2011, 03:47 AM
I just unwrapped the new one yesterday. I'll have pics up and a more in-depth review up as soon as the strings and head have finished stretching.

In the mean time, I thought it would be a good idea to list out my first impressions. This is my first banjolele and my first baritone. However, I've owned a couple banjos and been playing guitars since 1995 so I have a pretty good feel for what's right and wrong.

First impressions:
* Heavier than I expected
* Beautiful grain on the resonator and ring
* Comfortable feel
* No place to attach a strap
* Sound is much more banjo than I expected (which is a good thing)
* Stock strings (not sure the brand, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were Aquilas)
* Head wrench included (trust me, this is a good thing!)
* The case is better than any other case I have
* Tone is good, but seems a bit muffled
* Build quality is excellent (not bad considering the "Made In China" sticker)

Overall first impression: This is a good quality instrument. I'll get some miles out of it.

I purchased from Elderly.com and I have to say I will be purchasing from them again. They did a wonderful job in taking the order. Shipping was quick (and free) and the uke was packaged with great care. Not only was the box stuffed to prevent the case from moving, but also the case was stuffed to keep the instrument from moving. Overall for them is an A++.

More to come after a weekend of breaking it in.

~DB

mm stan
03-25-2011, 06:04 AM
Aloha Danny,
Congratulation on you new banjolele..Have fun and enjoy...thanks for the initial review...Happy Strummings...MM Stan

cb56
03-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Is this the BUB Baritone banjo uke as opposed to the banjolele?
http://www.goldtone.com/products/details/w/instrument/434/BUB-Baritone-Banjo-Uke
I just ordered the concert size BUC.
http://www.goldtone.com/products/details/w/instrument/432/BUC-Concert-Banjo-Uke
Hopefully will get it soon like tomorrow. I really wanted the tenor neck but they tune it like a baritone DGBE. The folks at Goldtone said it could be tuned gCEA like a tenor with lighter guage strings but that i would be 50% more likely to break strings that way. i ordered the concert because the gCEA tuning was important to me. Hopefully I'll just get used to the scale difference between my tenor ukes and my concert banjo uke.

lindydanny
03-30-2011, 02:50 AM
Okay, I finally got the video uploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WZq7KOXw4U
My apologies for the bad quality of the video/sound. I'm working nothing but a digital camera for both!

~DB

cb56
03-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the review. Sounds great. still waiting for my concert version to come in.
edit, just got it today. I may have to have you show me in more detail how you did the strap.

Jnobianchi
03-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Hey Hey, Dan.

Good overview. I played one once, and agree that it's heavy, but there's a lot to like there.

I'll second Elderly - ! They are simply the best mail order music company out there. I've ordered from some that come very close - Ukulele World is up there, for sure and often have competitive prices. But playing the intrument you're interested in over the phone for you or via skype has to rank as the best customer service possible.

:)