Epiphone, Poop or get off the pot..

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
If Epiphone execs eves drop here, I'm still waiting for that Les Paul Uke. I been chopping at the bit since ya announced it. Now, put up or shadup. I'm about too spring for one if it's Epi or not.. Just sayin..

Hang in there, it'll come.

Let them get overwhelmed by the scale of the demand. It will make them think about what they are doing and the consequences of getting it wrong. A lot of people are now watching and waiting and they won't want to bring out a dud. So let's give them enough time to do the job properly, 'cos if they do, we will end up with little gems of ukes.

Anticipation. It gnaws, doesn't it? :)

Hang in there, it'll come.

Let them get overwhelmed by the scale of the demand. It will make them think about what they are doing and the consequences of getting it wrong. A lot of people are now watching and waiting and they won't want to bring out a dud. So let's give them enough time to do the job properly, 'cos if they do, we will end up with little gems of ukes.

Anticipation. It gnaws, doesn't it? :)

Yup.. My rationalism feels just that way, and agree 100%, but that damn UAS, especially if ya got a specific target in the crosshairs is KILLER. I pace around the house all day, stomping around like a T-Rex, my fingers tingling and wiggling, eyes look like a crack head looking for that next fix.. I hate that.. hahhah

I pace around the house all day, stomping around like a T-Rex, my fingers tingling and wiggling, eyes look like a crack head looking for that next fix.. I hate that.. hahhah

Ha! I can see that. Just think of the energy you're burning up and feel the thrill of being alive as the UAS streams through your body! Channel it, use it, love the feeling.

I had a couple of weeks of it in December trying to get myself organised to buy my Eleuke and amp, and then waiting for the gear to arrive. Let's say I was 'fragile' for want of a better word. I can't wait for the rviews of the Epi LPs. I want to buy one for my daughter (true! It's not for me! I swear!!) but I'll wait until you give the green light on the quality.

Now I'm heading back to the Eleuke to try to finish off my Aussie Country song I wrote.

Whatever happened to the Telecasters.? That's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Keith Richards on uke and I'm a damn drummer.

Clearly this uke was rushed to get an announcement at NAMM, but was too early - that annoys me as I want one!

I plan to post a review of it after I get my hands on it for a week or so. As far as quality, I have a couple Epiphone guitars, and they are really good quality for an assembly line instrument. Even being overseas, they still have to answer to Gibson. I have a Gibson too, and as much as I hate to say it, the craftmanship of the Epi isn't "too" far off from the USA built Gibson. Gibson does use better parts tho, but I am refering to the actual build quality of the guitars I own.

That said, I expect the build quality to be up to par on the Uke, but that is not to say it will be a "good" uke. Sometimes as you probably know, it doesn't translate well between guitar and uke. The materials on the Epis I have aren't bad either, solid mohagany, altho a farm raised, cheaper variety, but still better than most assembly line instruments. Epi looses the race between USA Gibson due to their electronic parts are inferier to the USA parts.

That said, I'm gonna look at the uke as something brand new, and not let my like/dislike of epi guitars influence it.

For what it is worth, Epiphone started out in the early 1900s in the USA building ukuleles. I hope they didn't forget that, even though they aren't the same company as they were in their youth. But I am really looking forward in seeing what they do going back to their roots..

Clearly this uke was rushed to get an announcement at NAMM, but was too early - that annoys me as I want one!

From a company perspective, I know why they do that, but it can also bite ya in the arse. They do that, to get people to sit on their money and wait for it, that are ready to buy something currently. But, if they do that TOO early, and it takes too long, people are gonna give up on them and spend their money on other products, so if they wait too long after an announcement, it can be really counter productive. They also like to do that to get a buzz going so it will come out with a bang.. But again, too long, and that bang turns into a fizzle.. If they get it out by early April, they'll be ok..

For me, though I love me some Les Paul anything, that NAMM show footage w/the jerk of a rep who obviously didn't know anything at all about a uke soured me considerably. Kind of like the video of the guitarist from Train w/the Fender No'hea - if I had seen that before I had bought my No'hea, probably wouldn't have. Fender is pretty much in the same boat w/the ukes though. Their 3 models are somewhat underwhelming overall.

Maybe Epi will get this one out the door eventually...

It is interesting that the Epi ukulele is now carried on the Epi web site (listed under "nylon"), but when you go to "Buy it online", Sam Ash is the only on-line dealer taking orders, and it says "coming soon". The link for all of the other on-line dealers either gives a 404 error, or the link goes to a generic page with a "the item you are searching for cannot be found" notation.

I did drop Gibson Customer Service an email, but don't expect/haven't received a response, after a couple of weeks.

I have one on order from a local dealer who is authorized Epiphone/Gibson. Unfortunately, his store manager is a jerk- when I wanted to buy a guitar, he kept telling me what I wanted, and playing the instrument for me, even after I told him exactly what I was looking for. And when I sat down with the Epi ES-175, he kept twiddling the tone and volume controls, even after I'd set them where I wanted them.

Just last week Mr. Personality, when I showed them my new Fluke, said that no one would buy a $300 ukulele. I pointed to the $40-99 range of Makala, Kala, and Lanikai ukes they carry, and said "That's why I had you order a $150 uke for me, and then you wanted to charge me for the included gig bag. And that's why I bought my $350 uke from someone else - because you don't know the instruments, the market, or the customer base."

Oh, yeah - this is the same guy who kept denying that Epi had announced a Les Paul, until I showed him the web page.

I like my local shop, but I'll be damned if I deal with Joe again.)

Oops... sorry for the hijack - I had to let off a little steam...

Now back to our regularly scheduled Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele lust.

-Kurt

My wife ordered one from Sam's Ass on line for my birthday as soon as she saw the picture. Of course we haven't received it.
Oh well, I'll get a 2nd birthday sometime in the future - just hope I don't get a year older at the same time.

Top Bottom