Handmade Soprano ( Blue Frog ) Solid Poplar with Spruce Top on eBay now

Vic D

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230601568040

This is a very handmade soprano ukulele made by me. It has solid poplar back and sides, Spruce top, walnut headstock veneer and binding, Poplar neck with walnut skunk stripe, Honduras rosewood fretboard and bridge, corian saddle and nut, engelmann spruce braces, mahogany heel block, poplar tail block. The frets and mother of pearl dots are from Stewart MacDonald and it's strung with Aquila strings.

The headstock on this uke is shaped a little irregular but it doesn't the playability or tone.

My ukes are like snowflakes, each one is different. I finish with waterbase lacquer wet sanded and buffed, the paint job's not perfect but it's nice enough.

I build these instruments to last and I'll fix any problem that comes up if it' related to my work, if it's dropped or left outside in the weather or sat on, that doesn't count. But I'll do any repairs for a reasonable fee.

You can see a video of the uke here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqJcSyXG1ZY

Thanks for looking,
--Vic

Last edited:
Aw, man! If I hadn't just bought 2 ukes in the past week! My wife would KILL me!!!

I couldn't even pass this one off as an anniversary present to myself - I did that with the Fluke Firefly banjo Uke I've got on order!

Beautiful instrument, Vic, and the sound on the video is wonderful. I will keep my eyes open, as well as watch my ukulele fund, for the next one. (And the $100 buy it now? SOooo tempting!)

-Kurt

Last edited:
Done deal, boss.

Right on... I hope you like it.. it's got a bit of a bark... but not TOO loud eh? And its tone is even across the strings... a bit bright just like it sounds in the video.. but with the warm tone when you coax it... just like most of my poplar ukes have been. :)

Last edited:
Aw, man! If I hadn't just bought 2 ukes in the past week! My wife would KILL me!!!

I couldn't even pass this one off as an anniversary present to myself - I did that with the Fluke Firefly banjo Uke I've got on order!

Beautiful instrument, Vic, and the sound on the video is wonderful. I will keep my eyes open, as well as watch my ukulele fund, for the next one. (And the $100 buy it now? SOooo tempting!)

-Kurt

Thanks so much Kurt. I'll be building about 20 of these poplar sopranos in the near future along with five or six mahogany jobs and then a few custom maple sopranos and a few poplar tenors, more inlay.. and The Bride... a very custom concert by the end of the year.

Right on... I hope you like it.. it's got a bit of a bark... but not TOO loud eh? And its tone is even across the strings... a bit bright just like it sounds in the video.. but with the warm tone when you coax it... just like most of my poplar ukes have been. :)

Thanks, Vic. It sounded great in the video, I hope my playing can do it justice!

Did you build it off of a kit, or from scratch? I want to build a ukulele of my own but, I have no idea where to start. Any help would be great. Especially for what wood to buy, and how thin to buy it. And your Uke looks great by the way!

@ Cheeso, thanks man! I think you'll like it.

@ReedKenney, I built it from planks to finish, and it's a wonderful feeling each time one comes together. Check out the luthiers lounge forum here on UU, there's a plethora of information there to get started. Also, read read read about everything luthier on the net. I read for like 5 years before I started my first uke. Search Frank Ford's site frets.com... man you could get lost for weeks there, and check out William Cumpiano's work and all the youtube ukulele building videos.

Top Bottom