Show Times (LIVE) for this Saturday's Uke Chat:

Hawaii Time: 7am -9am
Alaska Time: 9am-11am
Pacific Time: 10am-Noon
Mountain Time: 11am-1pm
Central Time: Noon-2pm
Eastern Time: 1pm-3pm
GMT +0: 5pm-7pm

Call in with your questions/comments/thoughts on strings. Guest is Dirk from Southcoast Ukes.

Hope to hear from you!

Listening live, right now, and loving it! Is this show available as a podcast, too?

Listening live, right now, and loving it! Is this show available as a podcast, too?

The show is archived a few minutes after it completes:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ukechat

You'll probably see it in the next 15 minutes.

My thanks to Dirk from Southcoast Ukes! It was a great show and I learned a lot about strings!

Thom

I was a little late joining but found it very informative. (I'm not what anyone would call computer literate so it took me a while)
Look forward to next weeks chat!

I tuned in late, but enjoyed what I got to hear, just as I did for the other two shows. I wanted to test the Skype connection, and was a bit surprised when I got to talk on the air. It worked great.

For those that don't know, when you call in with Skype it connects you through Skype and then Thom can see your Skype name on his screen. You then hear the show over Skype and not over the regular web page.

Anyway, great job as always Thom.

Mailman - all you have to do if you want it as a podcast is to go to the archive page and download the MP3. Put it in your iPod, computer, etc, and listen to it as you would any other podcast.

Really enjoyed the show. Dirk was very informative & certainly understands the string "world". A couple of things that really jumped out at me was the statement about the overall resonance of a given string type in gist; "if you are playing an instrumental/picking piece you probably want the string to quit vibrating quickly so that it doesn't bleed into the next note" (not a direct quote, but that how I interpreted it). I never thought of that. I've read many string reviews here on UU & some mention that one string family might be better for strummers vs. pickers. Just never thought of that. Another part of the conversation that was interesting to me, at least, was the discussion around wound strings & Dirk's mention that it is usually a better balance to have two wound (G & C) & the others unwound rather than the more "common" single wound & 3 unwound.

The only thing that might have improved the string conversation would "maybe" be a couple of ukes at hand with different strings - but that can more easily be done w/Soundcloud & YouTube perhaps.

Thanks for starting this PDX.

Caught the last 20 min. Dirk was a wealth of knowledge and I hope to find time to listen to the first bit later. Another great show Thom! You're a pro.

Great topic, excellent show . . . I'm sure whoever joined in or listened gained some insights and info regarding strings in general. Dirk is definitely a wealth of knowledge. Much Mahalos for airing and answering my question. Looking forward to trying them when they become available.

Kudos for producing this show. Have heard the first two and its off to a great start. I have subscribed to the feed in Itunes, so I'm looking forward to seeing each installment as you go.

Hello all & thanks for the kind words,

Thanks also to Thom, who can add "interviewer par excellence" to his resume. If anyone gets an invitation to go on this show, don't hesitate to accept. He has a talent for this kind of thing - next I see him taking over the Larry King spot.

If for instance, there were ever to be a guest with a tendency to ramble on into the ozone (pas moi!), Thom is just the kind of guy who can bring things down to earth and keep them focused. Callers too, will enjoy participating.

Lots of fun!

Top Bottom