PDA

View Full Version : Help name my new ukulele model.

DeVineGuitars
03-26-2011, 06:41 AM
It has been a lot or years since I came up with a new model and body shape for my ukes, but here it is. Now I don't know what to call it? It is a Kasha hybrid bracing system with a taylor style bridge and a little curvier than my Kasha model so my first thought was the Wahine. It will be going into spraying with the rest of the batch this weekend. Any thoughts?
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq138/ERIC_DEVINE/_DSC6197.jpghttp://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq138/ERIC_DEVINE/_DSC6200.jpghttp://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq138/ERIC_DEVINE/_DSC6205.jpghttp://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq138/ERIC_DEVINE/_DSC6173.jpg

Gmoney
03-26-2011, 06:44 AM
That is beautiful! And I can't think of any better name than Wahine. Curves & sassy.

uke4life
03-26-2011, 06:54 AM
Simply beautiful..."Nani Loa" comes to mind...Will you have some for sale?

DeVineGuitars
03-26-2011, 06:58 AM
Simply beautiful..."Nani Loa" comes to mind...Will you have some for sale?

Yes, they will be availably for order. This is the first of this new model that I built for myself and to demo for a few long time customers. But like every time I make something for myself, I don't seem to be able to hold on to it for very long.

slimt
03-26-2011, 07:02 AM
Thats a Sweet Uke.... Nicely Done...

mailman
03-26-2011, 07:05 AM
To paraphrase an old joke, the first thing that came to my mind was, "Kamaniwanaple'a". (That's the closest I can come to a Hawaiian spelling of "come on I wanna play ya") That is absolutely beautiful. How do the prices range?

Tudorp
03-26-2011, 07:08 AM
This might be sick, and for that I apologize in advance. But, if it were mine, (and I would like that by the way), taking my warped sense of humor, especially in names, would name it "Stroke". And the reason, looking at the one in your sig, if you are getting the same bridge, the first thing that came to mind is it looked like a stroke victim. Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing, because I think it looks cool, and I like it. But, it just looks like it had a stroke. (one eye closed due to facial paralisis (the sound hole being the open one), and the bridge representing the mouth, looks like a the drooping mouth of a stroke victim.

Sick, I know, but that is my warped sense of humor, and like said, I apologize. But, that was the 1st thing that came to me, and If it were mine, that's what I would name it..

;)

LoMa
03-26-2011, 07:09 AM
Dat wahine be beautiful!

Lexxy
03-26-2011, 07:16 AM
How does Nani Wahine sound? (Not too sure if it's 'Pretty Woman' but i tried!)

Also, they look gorgeous, the inlays. especially the inlays, and the curls in the koa.
Would we have pictures of the end product, Eric? :)

DeVineGuitars
03-26-2011, 07:31 AM
"Kamaniwanaple'a". (That's the closest I can come to a Hawaiian spelling of "come on I wanna play ya")
Very nice!
I'm pretty new around here and not sure what I have gotten my self into. These are some twisted ukers around here, especially you Tudorp! I love your sick sense of humor, bring it on!
Prices start at $3200 before up grades. this one has upgrades of Master grade koa, abalone purfling and the fretboard inlay.

DeVineGuitars
03-26-2011, 07:34 AM
How does Nani Wahine sound? (Not too sure if it's 'Pretty Woman' but i tried!)

Also, they look gorgeous, the inlays. especially the inlays, and the curls in the koa.
Would we have pictures of the end product, Eric? :)
I will add some finished pics when it is done. Should be finished in about 2 weeks.

Uke Republic
03-26-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm thinking Popeye. The bridge is like the mouth and the eye! No it deserves a much better name than that. Beautiful instrument. Hey how about Beautiful? I'm sooo creative:)

DeVineGuitars
03-26-2011, 07:42 AM
This is actually the bridge it will be getting.
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq138/ERIC_DEVINE/D3S_1548.jpg

docryf
03-26-2011, 07:44 AM
How about.

'Holonde Fruntandesyde'

which, roughly translated, sa far as I can make out, means 'hole on the front and the side'.

I think 'Wahine' would be perfect, it's got two holes that you just can't shut.

DeVineGuitars
03-26-2011, 07:54 AM
I think 'Wahine' would be perfect, it's got two holes that you just can't shut.

...Wow! Andrew Dice Clay, is that you? :cool:

dkcrown
03-26-2011, 08:02 AM
So if I come up with a name that you choose for your gorgeous new model, does that mean I get one of those beauties as a prize?:)

mailman
03-26-2011, 08:05 AM
To paraphrase an old joke, the first thing that came to my mind was, "Kamaniwanaple'a". (That's the closest I can come to a Hawaiian spelling of "come on I wanna play ya") That is absolutely beautiful. How do the prices range?

Very nice!
I'm pretty new around here and not sure what I have gotten my self into. These are some twisted ukers around here, especially you Tudorp! I love your sick sense of humor, bring it on!
Prices start at $3200 before up grades. this one has upgrades of Master grade koa, abalone purfling and the fretboard inlay.

Glad you liked it! If you choose to use it, do I get a free uke? :D;)

chiefnoda
03-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Now I don't know what to call it?

Hi

What about Mau Loa?

Cheers
Chief

PS You don't have to thank me but I don't mind if you send me one of the ukuleles...... Tenor, please.

dkcrown
03-26-2011, 08:13 AM
I would call that particular one Sunrise.(Not sure of the Hawaiian word for it) The curly Koa looks like water shimmering under the soundhole (sun).

mendel
03-26-2011, 08:43 AM
First- that is absolutely breathtaking. Second- as far as names go, there is no need to name it in Hawaiian. How about "the Muse" Model. It seems like craftsmanship on that level coupled with the innate beauty of the build materials is meant to inspire.... That instrument is so gorgeous that it would be a sin for someone less than great to strum it's strings. It almost seems as if the Uke itself is screaming to be played by someone that oozes talent. For lack of better terms, it is like a dog in heat- searching tirelessly for the perfect mate. There almost something sexual about it..... Stellar work!!!!

Nixon
03-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Managed to misspell "Holey" as "holy" in a Hawaiian dictionary, which comes out as Hemolele which I think sounds rather nice. Or Alan.

Lori
03-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Beautiful ukes! When I first saw it, I thought maybe a pirate reference like the (Jack) "Sparrow". Another thought...how about "wink".
–Lori

Pippin
03-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Heart-Strings... because you'll fall in love with it.

Pippin
03-26-2011, 10:22 AM
First- that is absolutely breathtaking. Second- as far as names go, there is no need to name it in Hawaiian. How about "the Muse" Model. It seems like craftsmanship on that level coupled with the innate beauty of the build materials is meant to inspire.... That instrument is so gorgeous that it would be a sin for someone less than great to strum it's strings. It almost seems as if the Uke itself is screaming to be played by someone that oozes talent. For lack of better terms, it is like a dog in heat- searching tirelessly for the perfect mate. There almost something sexual about it..... Stellar work!!!!

"Muse" has already been used.

scottie
03-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Sweet uke. . . I'm thinking Billy Bob.

Uncle Leroy
03-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Kawaii Ume. Beautiful Dream in Japanese.

SuzukHammer
03-26-2011, 02:44 PM
waanjai means sweetheart in Thai
jaidee means good heart in Thailand
And you could give it some of that curly thai font with the name.

Ayu means beautiful in Indonesian ( check out Ayu meaning of name Ayu has male and female connotation (http://nameberry.com/babyname/Ayu) )
Indah means beautiful in Indonesian
Cheentah (actually spelled cinta but pronouned Cheentah) means love in Indonesian
Chantik means beautiful in Indonesian (spelled cantik but pronounced Chanteek)

ukeeku
03-26-2011, 03:11 PM
ho'i Pipi'i, pi'i

PhilUSAFRet
03-26-2011, 03:13 PM
How about "Takasha"

Nickie
03-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Very pretty! Although I have no idea what to name it...

gpb7777777
03-26-2011, 04:05 PM
'Ionlani should be the name for this instrument. I believe it means "royal hawk". I like the way it rolls of the tongue and it defintley is regal. Or simply melokia meaning melody.
gp

ksiegel
03-26-2011, 04:39 PM
"Lust".

Because that's what it is causing.

makin' me drool!

-Kurt

johntz
03-27-2011, 01:36 AM
"Erotas"

Greek word meaning Love or Sex

That is a gorgeous instrument. Well done. Very unique looking.

DeVineGuitars
03-27-2011, 07:12 AM
Wow guys, thank you for so many great names and compliments.
I don't know if I can afford to award an uke to the winning name, but how about a few sets of Aquilla strings?
I will choose the final name after I string her up in about 2 weeks and award the strings to the winner.

Lexxy
03-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Wow guys, thank you for so many great names and compliments.
I don't know if I can afford to award an uke to the winning name, but how about a few sets of Aquilla strings?
I will choose the final name after I string her up in about 2 weeks and award the strings to the winner.

Mahalo Eric! You da best :)

mendel
03-27-2011, 02:44 PM
How about "The Id"? Signed Freud believed that the Id was the part of a persons personality that was home to all repressed desires, libido, and lustful wantings. Maybe "Libido" works better...

ksiegel
03-27-2011, 03:26 PM
How about "The Id"? Signed Freud believed that the Id was the part of a persons personality that was home to all repressed desires, libido, and lustful wantings. Maybe "Libido" works better...

But remember - sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

-Kurt

Pippin
03-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Freud and Jung both treated a patient who had killed his father. Freud determined that the boy killed his father because of an Oedipus complex-- in short, he loved his mother and his father was in the way. Jung found out the truth speaking with the boy. His father was an equestrian and wanted his son to ride. The boy had fallen from a big horse as a young child and was deathly afraid of horses, yet his father kept forcing him to ride. He killed his father to keep from having to ride the horse again.

Freud was a sex-crazed looney if you ask me.

seoulsister
03-27-2011, 11:06 PM
I say name her 'lovely'. Because she is. ;)

mm stan
03-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Aloha Brah,
Howzit brah, How about "Hone Hone" Sweet..... MM Stan

seoulsister
03-28-2011, 03:48 AM
Just looked up the word lovely in the Hawaiian dictonary- nohea. ;)

Kauai808
03-28-2011, 03:52 AM
Looks like you are on Maui. Why not name the different models off of towns on Maui.
Hana, Wailea, Lahaina,
Wailea would be the premium line obviously. Ha!

Kanaka916
03-28-2011, 04:09 AM
Just looked up the word lovely in the Hawaiian dictonary- nohea. ;)
I think Fender has a Nohea model. . .

Lori
03-28-2011, 06:10 AM
Looks like you are on Maui. Why not name the different models off of towns on Maui.
Hana, Wailea, Lahaina,
Wailea would be the premium line obviously. Ha!
That sounds like a nice idea. I used to work for a shoe company that did that with Swiss town names. It's a pretty ukulele, but don' t go overboard with a "sexy" name. It might appeal to the men, but leave the women feeling uncomfortable. I still don't like seeing the GoDaddy graphics of the girls staring sexily into the cameras. Really bugs me every time I have to attend to my website and web store (which is a lot). Romantic is good, but not too sexy.
–Lori

PS– Wahine is nice, but applied to this asymmetrically designed uke disturbs me a bit. It makes me think of a mastectomy.

DeVineGuitars
03-28-2011, 06:30 AM
So many good ideas. I like the name Nohea. A good friend on mine named his son Nohea.
I also like the idea of naming it after towns. But the one I keep coming back to is "muse". Anyone know what muse is in Hawaiian?

Pippin
03-28-2011, 10:26 AM
So many good ideas. I like the name Nohea. A good friend on mine named his son Nohea.
I also like the idea of naming it after towns. But the one I keep coming back to is "muse". Anyone know what muse is in Hawaiian?

Fender already has Nohea.