? About Mele Mahogany Uke

mangorockfish

Reaction score
Eukegenius has a mahogany Mele tenor in the marketplace. It seems to be darker than most other mahogany ukes I've seen. I really like this color. Is this the way all the mahogany Meles look like?

Of the 5 I have owned, all have been dark like that. Best looking mahogany around.

Eukegenius has a mahogany Mele tenor in the marketplace. It seems to be darker than most other mahogany ukes I've seen. I really like this color. Is this the way all the mahogany Meles look like?

Like any other wood, each mahogany instrument will vary considerably. I have a vintage Kamaka Keiki solid mahogany that is very light colored compared to the Martin of a bit older vintage. And I have new LoPrinzi tenor out of Honduran mahogany which sits pretty much in the middle of these two. I owned a Mele pineapple out of mahogany that was nearer in color to the tenor that you are looking at. And remember also, that photos we look at on UU can vary pretty substantially from the actual instrument "in person".

What I can say is that particular uke looks like a good deal & a good price w/the added benefit of dealing w/someone on UU.

haven't seen his, but in general, Mahogany gets darker with age. I also understand that allot of playing will cause it to darken too. Not sure if that's true, but it is just seasoned, and aged mahogany when it turns dark, and I believe is when it is the most beautiful, and ready to produce richer tones.. When they turn dark is when they look and sound the best.. Just my opinion..

Some new ones could be stained....too....

Good point, and most likely the case with a newer built mahog. But, the rich dark red/brown mahogany is my all time favorite wood.

My Martin guitar was a beautiful dark Mahogany (HOG) like the Mele you are contemplating...I must say I love the dark HOG and really am trying to figure out if I can swing that beauty right now...I had a Mele in my past and loved it...

My Martin guitar was a beautiful dark Mahogany (HOG) like the Mele you are contemplating...I must say I love the dark HOG and really am trying to figure out if I can swing that beauty right now...I had a Mele in my past and loved it...
I was really contemplating it and then the "tax lady" called. Now everything is on hold even buying grocerys. Not LOL!

Top Bottom