PDA

View Full Version : ukulele strings

Rosspeterson1993
03-26-2011, 11:53 AM
So i recently got some new ukulele strings for my kala uke the old ones are fine but i was curious if they are not broke are they reusable?

itsme
03-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Yes, you can re-use strings. Sometimes you just want to try another brand and the old ones are still perfectly fine. But sometimes you replace strings because they're old and dull sounding so they're never really going to be "good" again, although they are still usable.

I always like to keep spare sets on hand. But previously used strings are good to keep as well. If you should break a string and put a used one on, it will take much less time to "settle in" than a brand new one, which is good if you've got a gig or a meet-up to go to in short order. :)

pdxuke
03-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Yes, you can re-use strings. Sometimes you just want to try another brand and the old ones are still perfectly fine. But sometimes you replace strings because they're old and dull sounding so they're never really going to be "good" again, although they are still usable.

I always like to keep spare sets on hand. But previously used strings are good to keep as well. If you should break a string and put a used one on, it will take much less time to "settle in" than a brand new one, which is good if you've got a gig or a meet-up to go to in short order. :)

+1. And I frequently immediately take off a new set of strings to replace with a brand I want on that uke. I put the removed strings in the new string's envelopes and label them.

bazmaz
03-26-2011, 11:37 PM
+1 - I do the same!