New Mainland Resonator Ukulele!

OldePhart

Reaction score
Man Phart.. You are a freaking idiot.. That's why I love you, and it resulted in a cool as heck Uke brutha.. ;) Nice work.... I might have to put that on my ta-doo list...

Very creative! Thanks for showing us your project.

–Lori

However you don't look anything like your avatar photo!! :)
Uhhh...do you? (look like yours, I mean, I'd be really worried if you looked like my avatar) If you do, I hope you're going to be at UWC 'cause I've always wanted to meet Wonder Woman in person! :)

I guess I've gained weight (and teeth and hair) since that photo was taken. LOL

Actually, I just look for funny pictures of old men on the internet and use them in my avatar, I guess it's about time to find another...

John

Actually, I just look for funny pictures of old men on the internet and use them in my avatar,

That being the case, back to my original question some time ago. Why don't you use your own real pic then? heheh

Sensational. I see a new career as a coffee tin bottom resonator uke modifier!

BTW, if you're an Old Phart, I must be an ancient one!

Last edited:
BTW, if you're an Old Phart, I must be an ancient one!

Heh, heh. As a friend of mine says, "it's not the age it's the mileage."

Actually, though, I started using that monicker online a few years ago (I was 50) when my cardiologist told me that I had a pretty good heart for a 75 year old man (and he doesn't have a sense of humor...). I had a heart attack well before I was near OldePhart status and it killed half of my heart (primarily a genetic thing, thanks Mom! :) ). So, I figure if I've got a 75-year-old heart I've earned my curmudgeonly old man stripes. LOL

I had my last checkup a few months ago and he said I'm holding steady, though, so maybe I just get to be an old man for a long time. ;) He also told me that that I'd surprised him, when he took my case thirteen years ago he wouldn't have given a plugged nickel for my chances of seeing fifty.

John

Man, you almost gave ME a heart attack when I saw that hole I thought you had cut in the Red Cedar Tenor you bought off of me! (I was secretly glad it was just the concert uke instead). Glad you did the experiment for the rest of us so we won't have to!

As to the "old fart" & heart issues, I can empathize w/you. I haven't had a heart attack, so my heart muscle is in good shape, but had my first 90% blockage fixed w/a stent at age 42(!), then another stent in the same vessel (the Left Anterior Descending artery - AKA the widow maker if it closes off completely). Then on August 16th, 2001 I had a single bypass of the SAME LAD - since then, everything is going fine! Coming up on my 10 year anniversary of THAT day & believe me, I'm gonna celebrate!

So, don't be cutting no holes in one of your KoAloha's or I will have a heart attack & you can't afford to make a widow out of my bride!

Aloha John,
Wow a frankenuke...how cool!!! man talking about outside of the box...tee hee hee..nice job...looks well done except for the temporary screws...thanks for the video, awesome dude..
Ahhhh finally we get you, our first peek at the man behind of the Avatar..lol and what you wrote..hmmm..Actually, I just look for funny pictures of old men on the internet and use them in my avatar...lol
Thanks for sharing...it was fun for me to watch...and probally for you to do....so what's your next project??? Doctor???

Pretty interesting craft! I don't see me doing anything like that, ever. :D

Just by the way, you kinda sound like Johnny Cash. Or am I mental?

Glad it all worked out! Sounds good :D You're a braver man than me, I couldn't do anything like that to my Ukulele I'd be too scared!

...had my first 90% blockage fixed w/a stent at age 42(!), then another stent in the same vessel (the Left Anterior Descending artery - AKA the widow maker if it closes off completely).

That's the one that got me. 100% blockage when I was barely 41 - and I'd thought I was in pretty decent shape right up until the moment it hit. No prior symptoms at all. In fact, just the year before I'd kicked a bunch of twenty-somethings backsides at laser tag. I wasn't athletic, but I was very active, a little stocky but well within my height/weight ratio (weighed what I had when I was in the AF, in fact). (I've gained more than forty pounds in the years since, even though I watch my diet pretty closely most of the time, because the medications they've got me on have slowed my metabolism to a crawl - before I hurt my back I was exercising hard an hour a day, five or six days a week, and just holding my weight steady.)

Anyway, the "big one" killed the whole front wall of my heart. Had another little heart attack and more stents a year later, and they finally talked me into a bypass two years after that. The surgeon ended up doing five grafts - so I've got more of my leg in my heart than in my leg! :)

BTW, folks, if you're in your thirties or above - get your physicals, already! I went my whole life without hardly ever seeing a doctor. I think I went to sick call twice in twelve years in the Air Force. Since the "big one" I've more than made up for that with all the time I've spent in doctor's offices!

John

Just by the way, you kinda sound like Johnny Cash. Or am I mental?

I've had a lot of people tell me that, especially when my wife and I used to sing in church. It's kind of funny because I never really consciously set out to emulate him or anything. I wouldn't even call myself a fan. It's not that I disklike his music or anything, I just don't very often listen to that kind of music. I'm more a blues and rock guy, but, unless I make a conscious effort not to sound like him, I kinda sound a little like him when I'm singing. When I did the "What is Hip?" video for Mim's contest, that was pretty much my natural singing voice. The other videos I had to work at more. :)

John

Top Bottom