Stop Press! Finally!!! A New Ukulele Magazine on the market!! Woooo-Hoooo!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hippie Dribble

yes folks, it's finally happened. A new hard copy ukulele periodical has it the market. :)

It's called "Kamuke" and done out of Sydney, Australia by a uke enthusiast called Cameron Murray.

My copy of the inaugural issue arrived on Friday and it's fab. High quality glossy paper, full colour, great stories, vibrant and alive and soooooo overdue. Big thanks to Cameron for getting this going and filling what has been a gaping hole in the worldwide uke scene for way too long. Sure, Mickey's online 'Ukulele Player' is awesome too, but this is something you can hold, flick through, read and savour.

First issue features interviews with Jim Beloff, Aussie uke chanteuse Rose Turtle Ertler, Uni and her Ukulele, as well as a piece on George Formby. The 'uke in focus' is the Martin Taropatch and KoAloha factory features in the 'Construction Zone'. As well there are some great reviews, heaps of eye popping full colour uke p***...the whole package is just so beautifully laid out. :drool:

I am not in any way connected to it or selling for them, just an excited fan so pleased to see a quality uke mag on the market, that is VERY reasonably priced.

For subscriptions, info etc etc http://www.kamuke.com or contact Cameron direct kamuke80@gmail.com

Lets get behind this gang. This is a blessing to the uke community and I sure believe we should support it. :)

Thanks for the heads up Jon. Paypal sent for the first issue.

Ditto. I just ordered my own copy.

I'm in - something worth running to the mailbox!

Will have to order when I get paid, should I have enough...looks good though!

Payment sent. Would rather I could go back to Australia to pick it up myself....

Cool, something uke related to keep me from practicing! I'm in!

Thanks for the tip, just ordered mine...although I still hate to order on paypal from direct links on a site. I can't help but always worry that someone is phishing for my password.

Oh well, I need to be less stressful, and a uke magazine should be just the ticket. I've been hoping for a hard copy glossy uke magazine for a while. :)

Personally, I think the choice of of graphic for the Inaugural cover is the most ridiculous I have ever seen. It's sexist and trite.

Whatever the rest of the magazine's content might be, I think that they are off to a rough start.

Personally, I think the choice of of graphic for the Inaugural cover is the most ridiculous I have ever seen. It's sexist and trite.

Whatever the rest of the magazine's content might be, I think that they are off to a rough start.

sad to say, I was excited until I saw the cover. I won't be getting that issue, and would hesitate to subscribe.

Tom

agreed. but don't judge the content by it's cover.

who can blame a first issue mag cover for going for a tried and true sales gimmick? what advertising doesn't use a scantily clad woman to sell it's product.

I don't like modern advertising either but don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

sad to say, I was excited until I saw the cover. I won't be getting that issue, and would hesitate to subscribe.

Tom

hi Tom. I think it's sad too. Haven't you ever read an archie comic?

each to his own though mate. fair enough.

I've bought an issue and enjoyed reading its content immensely. I don't sit there staring at the cover as the magazine is tucked into my shelf of other ukulele related books and music.

I don't think that you agree with me. If you did, there would have been no need to continue to support the magazine in your reply. You obviously don't agree with me. However, if you meant to be patronizing...

what advertising doesn't use a scantily clad woman to sell it's product

I work in advertising. I could make a list of 50 current campaigns that don't and another 50 that never do or will.

Regardless of that, this isn't advertising. It's a magazine cover. For ukulele.

who can blame a first issue mag cover for going for a tried and true sales gimmick

Why in the world would he need a sales gimmick? The demographic audience is something like M/F ages 10-90. And with the addition of this magazine on the market, that makes two periodicals that the entire worldwide ukulele playing population can choose from. Is this really going to be a tough sell? I don't believe it.

but don't judge the content by it's cover.

That's a fine old adage if your referring to not eating spinach even though you've never had it because you don't like the way it looks.

Are you suggesting that if the cover of something is morally objectionable or offensive, we should continue to read through and support the content because it might be okay?

Let's be realistic here. The cover of the magazine is problematic. Essentially, it has reduced this beloved instrument to the banal representing it as a mere and unsubstantial plaything in the hands of a grotesquely superficial stereotype.

I can't and won't speak for others, but I have had a heck of a time getting this instrument to be taken seriously while trying to carve out a meager performance existence. At present, this magazine is proving to be just another hurdle.

I'm offended by it and I am embarrassed for its publisher. And if you want a hard copy of a ukulele magazine that you can hold and savor, take your electronic file of Mickey's Ukulele Player Magazine to the nearest Kinko's and make a color copy on glossy paper. That's what I do. It costs less than ten dollars and it doesn't offend my sensibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom