PDA

View Full Version : Do pick-ups change to sound of your uke?

iDavid
03-27-2011, 02:50 AM
I was thinking of getting pick-up put in my uke: a K and K. However, since it is glued on the soundboard, could't that reduce the vibrations by a wee- bit?

Thoughts?

Still getting use to typing on this iPad, btw.

lookingforcurly
03-27-2011, 04:04 AM
No. Totally nonintrusive. No impact on sound.

BobN
03-27-2011, 04:24 AM
Any change in the mass of the instrument will affect the sound. The effect may so small that it is not noticeable.

kissing
03-27-2011, 05:03 AM
It may reduce the volume by a tiny bit, since something is contacting the soundboard reducing the vibration a bit.
But then again, when we play normally, we often have a palm or elbow touching the soundboard anyway. So it would be insignificant.

I'm more of a fan of undersaddle pickups though, since they don't touch the soundboard directly.

iDavid
03-27-2011, 05:10 AM
It may reduce the volume by a tiny bit, since something is contacting the soundboard reducing the vibration a bit.
But then again, when we play normally, we often have a palm or elbow touching the soundboard anyway. So it would be insignificant.

I'm more of a fan of undersaddle pickups though, since they don't touch the soundboard directly.

Like?

A misi.....

Kanaka916
03-27-2011, 05:19 AM
Most folks prefer a UST. LiveUkulele recently swapped out a KK for a MiSi and the results can be found here . . . http://liveukulele.com/misi-acoustic-trio-pickup-consensus/

Brad Bordessa
03-27-2011, 09:46 AM
I had the K&K and just got it taken off (to put in the MISI like Kanaka said). No noticeable difference with it removed. I think the only thing that changed was that the new bone saddle fitted for the UST has a bit better tone. It's not worth even worrying about unless you have ears like Eric Johnson.