USB MICs/Pop Filter???? Purchasing soon any recomendations?

missashleyclaire

Reaction score
I've been writing and recording some songs lately and I just put the first one on youtube as some of you know

http://www.youtube.com/embed/RWcydG6_zMs

I'm ordering myself a MIC that will record into my computer and I'm hoping that you guys have some awesome AFFORDABLE solution. I would really like to stay within a hundred bucks for something decent. This is probably what I'm going to use to put some of my stuff on itunes as well.

Looking forward to your favorites and stay the hell away froms!

And if your favorite is over 100 still share... I may just decide to spend the extra money.

If you can spend another $30-$50, the Blue Yeti is supposed to be a really good usb mic. The blue snowball is alright for your budget, but I had issues with one and never cared to try another.

I use a Zoom H2 as both my portable recorder and usb mic....but I have heard nothing but good things about the Blue Yeti.

I use the h4 as an usb mic and if the h2 has the same mic set up, sweets' suggestion is also good if you want a decent recorder also.

By the way, has anyone used either the h2 or the h4 as an interface for other non-usb mics?

By the way, has anyone used either the h2 or the h4 as an interface for other non-usb mics?

I use the H4 as a USB interface for other mics as well as my ukulele pickup and my Alesis drum machine. It works great. The H4 has XLR 1/4" inputs, whereas the H2 doesn't. That's not important to me, since I don't have any mics that need the 48v. The H2 does have one 1/8" mic input. One thing I don't like about the H4 is that you cannot use the built in mics and an external input at the same time, which is strange because you can use both of the 1/4" inputs simultaneously. I'm not sure if you can use an external mic and the H2's internal mic simultaneously , or not.

Last edited:
I have used the H4 as an interface for other mics as well as my ukulele pickup and my Alesis drum machine. It works great. The H4 has XLR 1/4" inputs, whereas the H2 doesn't. That's not important to me, since I don't have any mics that need the 48v. The H2 does have one 1/8" mic input. One thing I don't like about the H4 is that you cannot use the built in mics and an external input at the same time. I'm tot sure if you can do that on an H2, or not.
Thanks sweet. I was browsing for new mics and the clerk was showing me non usb mics and mentioning how I'd need an interface system for recording on my MAC and I figured I could use the h4 instead of buying a whole new piece of equipment. I know I can add two mics using the 1/4" inputs. Do you use a 1/8 to a 1/4" converter when plugging your instrument into the h4? I think I've seen them at radio shack.

Thanks sweet. I was browsing for new mics and the clerk was showing me non usb mics and mentioning how I'd need an interface system for recording on my MAC and I figured I could use the h4 instead of buying a whole new piece of equipment. I know I can add two mics using the 1/4" inputs. Do you use a 1/8 to a 1/4" converter when plugging your instrument into the h4? I think I've seen them at radio shack.

didgeridoo2 - No. My pickup has a 1/4" output jack so I just use a regular guitar chord to plug it into the H4 1/4" input. I also have a 1/4" out on my drum machine, so I use that. If I do end up replacing the H4 with an H2, I will have to go the other way - that is 1/4" to 1/8" adapters.

I'm dense when it comes to this stuff, I meant xlr to 1/4" adaptor. The h4 doesn't have a 1/4" input. Or I don't think mine does. It is one of the earlier models (3 years old maybe?).

I'm dense when it comes to this stuff, I meant xlr to 1/4" adaptor. The h4 doesn't have a 1/4" input. Or I don't think mine does. It is one of the earlier models (3 years old maybe?).

The XLR jacks are also 1/4" plugs and they don't seem to care whether you plug a mic in needing the XLR 48v, or just a plain old 1/4" guitar plug. Because they have those additional little holes on the side, they don't look like an ordinary 1/4" socket. They have not blown anything up on my son's unit yet with guitars and simple mics plugged in.

Last edited:
The XLR jacks are also 1/4" plugs and they don't seem to care whether you plug a mic in needing the XLR 48v, or just a plain old 1/4" guitar plug. Because they have those additional little holes on the side, they don't look like an ordinary 1/4" socket. They have not blown anything up on my son's unit yet with guitars and simple mics plugged in.
Really? When my infant son wakes up from sleeping on my chest, or if my wife gets home, I'll have to look closer at my h4. I'm thinking I'd need a female to female adaptor.

Sorry to hijack the thread, op.

If I wanted to stay under $100 for just a mic, I would probably get one of the Blue Snowball mics. You can usually find them online for about $60, and lots of YT videos seem to sound great with them. They get good reviews here, and they look cool.

Last edited:
I've done some reading and.... I think I'm sold on the yeti! yeiks. that's going to effect my lunches lol

Just to clarify, XLR doesn't mean that a mic needs 48V phantom power. Only certain mics need that, most commonly condensers (although there is a recent trend toward some high-end phantom-powered ribbon mics). XLR is just a type of connector, usually (but not exclusively) used with low-impedance, balanced connections.

I'm not familiar with the H2 or the H4, but if it has the Neutrik XLR / 1/4" combo jacks, the unit wouldn't normally be wired to send phantom to the 1/4" part of the connector.

-Pete

Top Bottom