Ukulele sellers in Moncton, NB?

ichadwick

Reaction score
I will be in Moncton for a couple of days next week at a convention, downtown. Not a lot of free time, but might be able to sneak away if anyone can point me to a good store selling ukes (not just Mahalos, please), uke accessories or vintage sheet music.
Thanks.

HI IAN

there used to be a shop called la guitarre off st george down town..dont know if it still exists.

long and mcquade ( some times called moncton music center i think) have kala ukes for sure or at least they did at xmas time . long and mcquade is up off mountain road near montanas steak house

they may have other brands but when i was there stock was low due to the xmas season.

they did have a lot of different sheet music and music book. didnt get a chance to browse music much but there was alot there. dont know how much for ukes but there was some for sure.

thats about all i can tell you
good luck eor

Last edited:
Ian I have to agree with eor he has covered the only places I know.I live about 60 km from Moncton.Enjoy your visit to Moncton.But you really should visit in the summer.lol

Thanks. La Guitarre seems a short walk from the hotel, according to Google maps, so I might get to it. I'm staying on Main across from a mall. Not sure if I have time - I have to give two full-day workshops - but if I can, I'll try to get there. I fly in one night, workshops, then fly out the following morning. A whirlwind tour!

Can't afford anything serious right now, so I'm just looking. But since I can't take a uke with me, I might like to play one in a store for a short while. But who knows - maybe there's a new tuner or gadget I can bring home.

hey

long and mcquade is about a 10 or 15 min cab ride... moncton is small...good luck.

a long time ago around 1984 My late mom offered to buy me a guitar for my xmas present. I was in school in moncton at the time, just a kid and couldnt play one chord, and went to what was the largest music store in moncton at the time to get a guitar.

long story short they didnt take the credit card company of the card she lent me.

as i was walking home i stumbled upon la guitarre on a side street.the sign on the door said they took the card so i went in loooked at some guitars and the dude suggested a yamaha accoustic. the model was discontinued he said but claimed it was a better than decent model and a REALLY nice guitar. i was going to buy it but the dude said to come back with a friend that played if i had one because " you should always try a giutar befor you buy it" and he would hold it till i came back

came back with a friend , he liked the guitar ( he had 2 yrs experiance) and i bought the yamaha accoustic fg340II for $250

turned uot to be a great guitar, built like a tank, plays like a dream, sounds great and is a prize possession to this day.

in yammaha mythology its one of their best ever guitars and some have even claimed that even though a laminate this model sounds better with age.

every body who has ever played it has commented on it.

and did i mention built like a tank

when people discount yammys and are snobbish about them they are some what misguided imho ;-)

long story to say la guitarre was a shop with integrity 30 years ago....

good luck

Nice story. I hope they have the same affection for ukes as they do guitars. My experience in Canadian guitar shops - in most music shops - is that the uke gets short shrift. They may have a fabulous collection of the low-end Mahalos, maybe an Oscar Schmidt or two. Nothing high-end. Well, that's probably just as well because if I came home with one, Susan would skin me alive. We needed some house repair work this winter - still need more - and that's where my money goes (hey! there's a song in that...). I could get past her with a tuner, or a strap, but a whole uke... yipes! So it's a look-dont-buy excursion. If, that is, I get the time to do it.

La Guitarre has a nice collection of guitars. Of course. Some drums, harmonicas, bass... but no ukuleles, unfortunately. I did, however, stumble into an antique store and I picked up 30 or so vintage song sheets with ukulele arrangements for a fair price. So it wasn't entirely a wasted trip, uke-wise.

Hey, nice to hear some talk of the Maritimes having spent some time in and around Fredericton and Halifax, oh man, 40 years ago! Got a hold of my first guitar while there but it got ripped off out of a cabin I lived in by a snowmobile riding thief. Still will always love NB and the great people there I got to hang with.

Hope you found the time to seek out that Moncton music store.

Might get more time this afternoon if I wrap up in time. Seems Long & McQuade is the only store with any ukes, but I've been to their Toronto store and the selection there was mediocre. Don't expect much here - their top line is probably Fender. On the other hand, I might go back for more song sheets... never have too many vintage uke arrangements!

Can't say I've seen much outside the hotel. Mostly indoors giving workshops. I've been here before, but like you 30 odd years ago. People I've met so far are good, friendly folk.

Top Bottom