I played a KoAloha Soprano Pineapple yesterday

Cheeso

Reaction score
Man, it was beautiful, beautiful looking, beautiful sounding, the tone so sweet it almost played itself. Now I want one so badly.

Never played one but I played a kamaka pineapple soprano and I thought it was fantastic too! I would love to try a koaloha!

Just played a bunch of koalohas a month ago. Wow, they are loud! Loved it!

Never played one but I played a kamaka pineapple soprano and I thought it was fantastic too! I would love to try a koaloha!

The shop I was at had a Kamaka Gold Label, too, but it didn't sound as good. I think the strings were dead, and there was a big crack on the back, I'm sure that didn't help the tone. It sounded nothing like another Kamaka I've played. I guess for the most part you can't go wrong with either, right?

Last edited:
The shop I was at had a Kamaka Gold Label, too, but it didn't sound as good. I think the strings were dead, and there was a big crack on the back, I'm sure that didn't help the tone. It sounded like another Kamaka I've played. I guess for the most part you can't go wrong with either, right?

You can't! But I far prefer the sound of the new Kamakas to the vintage ones. The new Kamaka pineapple is lovely to play and to hear.

But you know - I've been tempted twice now by a Koaloha longneck pineapple. I'm pretty committed to being a Kamaka girl, but if I ever was going to stray, it would be for one of those :)

You can't! But I far prefer the sound of the new Kamakas to the vintage ones. The new Kamaka pineapple is lovely to play and to hear.

But you know - I've been tempted twice now by a Koaloha longneck pineapple. I'm pretty committed to being a Kamaka girl, but if I ever was going to stray, it would be for one of those :)

The problem with me is, I'll probably end up with one of each, if I'm lucky!

KoAloha ukes are not just "loud", they are sweet-sounding, too. There are some of their instruments that have a distinct tone to them that no other uke can really match. The Pineapple Sunday has a voice all its own. Really, I have not heard another ukulele quite like it. Their standard pineapple ukes are loud. We have a local club member in Columbus with a couple of them.

janeray1940 said:

I have all 3, a Koaloha Pineapple, a white label Kamaka and a new Kamaka soprano. I almost exclusively play the new Kamaka, but I toally understand people who like the Koaloha sound better. They're so different.

Love all of my Kamakas and KoAlohas. The KoAloha soprano in my avatar was purchased from MGM last February. It was one that he was going to take to a show. It is bright, loud and resonant; also sweet. My soprano Kamaka was hand-picked for my by Sam Bonanno at Larry's. Also last February. It is warm, rich and complex.

Wow, I love those descriptions. Warm, rich and complex. Sounds like me, only I am warm, poor and complex. Ha ha

KoAloha ukes are not just "loud", they are sweet-sounding, too. There are some of their instruments that have a distinct tone to them that no other uke can really match. The Pineapple Sunday has a voice all its own. Really, I have not heard another ukulele quite like it. Their standard pineapple ukes are loud. We have a local club member in Columbus with a couple of them.
The KoAloha I played was definitely sweet sounding. That is a perfect description.

Warm, rich, and complex. I feel like I'm on a coffee discussion board.

I have a KoAloha concert and a recent vintage (not sure what year it is) Kamaka pineapple. Not really an apples to pineapple comparison but I will say that I love the sound of the KoAloha and would describe it as rich, bold, and really just a joy to play. Not that I don't enjoy playing the pineapple, I do. But the KoAloha just has a certain oomph to it. I guess I should get a KoAloha standard pineapple to make the best comparison.

I love UAS justification. ;)

I picked up a 2002 KoAloha pineapple a couple of months ago. It's fast becoming my favorite. It came with a soft case and I've been looking around for a nice hardshell. that fits it. I know Elderly sells a black wood one for $59 that looks like it would be a nice fit. I'm sort of partial to tweed cases but I haven't found one that can handle the 7" width without being too big. Anyone have any suggestions?

I hate these Ko'Aloha threads, they just fuel the fire. Just when i think I've got the urge in check, someone comes along with a quart of gasoline.

I've got a Koaloha longneck pineapple and I'm still finding it's voice. When I got it (secondhand) the action at the nut was much too low, so much so that you couldn't play any open strings without them buzzing. The nice folk at Koaloha sent me a new nut FOC, even though I wasn't the original purchaser and I fitted it last night. It's probably a little high at the moment but I'm taking it down a little at a time. It seems a bit high at the bridge to me but don't want to go rushing into changing too much until I've lived with it a bit longer. It does have a lovely sweet tone. :)

I picked up a 2002 KoAloha pineapple a couple of months ago. It's fast becoming my favorite. It came with a soft case and I've been looking around for a nice hardshell. that fits it. I know Elderly sells a black wood one for $59 that looks like it would be a nice fit. I'm sort of partial to tweed cases but I haven't found one that can handle the 7" width without being too big. Anyone have any suggestions?

The hardshell pineapple case that Larry's music sell for their Kamoa 'ukes fits my KoAloha pineapple perfectly.

I have a KoAloha concert and a recent vintage (not sure what year it is) Kamaka pineapple. Not really an apples to pineapple comparison but I will say that I love the sound of the KoAloha and would describe it as rich, bold, and really just a joy to play. Not that I don't enjoy playing the pineapple, I do. But the KoAloha just has a certain oomph to it. I guess I should get a KoAloha standard pineapple to make the best comparison.

I would say, almost without exception, the new Kamaka models sound better than the older models. I think if you compared a new KoAloha to a new Kamaka the difference would not be as pronounced.

Speaking of which, I was at KoAloha last week visiting Pop and he was working on his Gambalele (the Japan relief uke) and was already changing it from a concert to a tenor as well as making the Rising Sun flag larger to get more sound projection out of it.

Actually, I was having my morning coffee. Hmm . . .:) Agree the KoAloha just has a certain oomph to it! Good descriptor.

All these posts about how nice these koaloha's sound made me bite the bullet on a used one recently. I should receive it today.
Unfortunately, the adjectives of warm, rich, complex will certainly not be used to describe my playing but hopefully this koaloaha will help inspire me to get there.

Top Bottom