Help Please a little confused...

mistermin88

Reaction score
So I just bought a Pono Baritone (The dark solid mahogany one)

I bought a set of aquilla baritone strings. Liked them a lot and then the D and G strings almost immediately started having breakage near the fret spots. So I bought some Worth strings (EXPENSIVE!!) and now the strings dont feel like they are up to pitch. They are extremely bendy and I am afraid of going up to the next octave because I tried it with the D string and it was Incredibly tight. So I am just a bit flustered if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Just as a point of reference the aquila B and E were perfect tension and easy to play... Thanks Guys!

Are your frets smooth, or do they have some rough spots that could have caused the string breakage? Were the windings damaged before the strings broke?

Also, were the Aquila's old stock or new? The new Aquila nylguts are smoother in feel and are less prone to string breakage.

Personally, nothing comes close to Aquila's for me on my baritone. Haven't had any string breakage problems with them.

Yeah they didnt actually break They just started to unwind. So maybe its old stock or something. Good to know. Thank you

Well with the Worths you actually got two sets for that price, which seems expensive until you realize you are getting two sets. If you are staying with G tuning (DGBE) I have found you just can't beat Southcoastukes strings. For G tuning I am using their G23, which does have two wound strings, but they are different wounds than I have used before. They are phenomenal in sound and pick and strum beautifully. If you want to go to C tuning (GCEA) on your Bari, then try their linear unwound strings, which again are really outstanding. I have tried several brands of strings, and the only ones I have found that come even close are the Worth Clears. Of course string choice is very much what sounds and feels right to you, so You will have to experiment a bit to find what satisfies you. Lozark

To help ensure that you're in the correct octave, go to an online guitar tuner, like this one. Of course, you're only going to be using the D, G, B, and E strings. Once you determine that you're in the correct octave, then give your strings a few days to settle. After a few days, if you still think they're too bendy, then you just don't like those strings.

It also seems like you don't like Aquila strings either, so another option is just to buy nylon classical guitar strings. Savarez and D'addario are good brands to try.

BTW, I have also had immediate string breakage issues on my wound Aquila strings, so it's not just you.

Yes Aquila wound strings really do not last very long, especially the LowG. They even admit that in their literature and sell single LowG wound strings for replacement. I can go through 3-4 wound LowG strings before I have to replace the others on my Tenor. They sound very nice though, so I keep them on.

If you are staying with G tuning (DGBE) I have found you just can't beat Southcoastukes strings. For G tuning I am using their G23, which does have two wound strings, but they are different wounds than I have used before. They are phenomenal in sound and pick and strum beautifully. Lozark

What is the tension like on those? Because The worths just feel loose... The Aquillas were perfect until the low g got torn up.

Top Bottom