Instrument Acquisition Syndrome -- Cheaper Than Therapy!

Maiyah888

Reaction score
So, my niece just turned 5, and she'd told her mom how much she loves listening to my YouTube video:

"I love hearing Tita sing and play the ukulele!"

Thus niece got a ukulele for her bday, from her mom.

And I got the bright idea to purchase a uke for former sis-in-law. The Black Sparkle Makala Dolphin! So she and niece can learn together and do duets!

And then I thought "My bro would probably like the Red Plaid Ukadelic to play around with when niece is over at his house."

I won it on eBay. Just. Now.

And I'm teaching a kids' project now. So having an extra uke makes sense. The Green Paisley Ukadelic was also up for auction. With NylGut Strings!

Which also means that I can teach my dad more chords (he's learned 3). Family quality time! And something to do together after the NCAA Tournament ends next weekend.

Am soooooo going to change my Sig now.

I now own (all new since December 1, 2010):

5 ocarinas

4 ukuleles

1 cigar box strummer

10 new instruments in 4 months.

Must. Stop. Shopping.

Last edited:
I realize this purchasing is partly due to my mutual breakup with my boyfriend of 2 years.

If I were going to therapy at $50 per weekly, that'd be 16 x $50 = $800

So I'm breaking even. And improving my filial relationships. Which is priceless, really.

Last edited:
And no doubt it's a whole heck of a lot more fun than therapy too!

LoMa, thank you for your understanding and support. And the fact that most of your items cost twice what each of mine did!

Whew! *feels relieved*

Wait a second....I'm VERY glad your UAS is helpful.....look at my signature, I have it worse than you, but let's not start a thread that bashes therapy. RyanMFT = Ryan, Marriage and Family Therapist.

Being a therapist is the way I pass along love, support, healing, and growth to people who are suffering.....

Now, get out there and buy more ukes!

Aloha Maiyah888,
Sorry to hear about your breakup with your boyfriend, but happy to hear you're having fun with all your music instruments....it is a good distraction
and it is fun and happy to play...Have fun and enjoy...look ahead girl, not back!! Happy Strummings, MM Stan

Being a therapist is the way I pass along love, support, healing, and growth to people who are suffering.....

That is a noble profession. I like your explanation of it, too.

I like Gmoney's 12 step program for UAS:

"The 12 step plan is the only path to peace.

1.Step 1 - admit you have UAS

2.Steps 2-11 - buy 12 ukes & repeat at step #1"

I like Gmoney's 12 step program for UAS:

"The 12 step plan is the only path to peace.

1.Step 1 - admit you have UAS

2.Steps 2-11 - buy 12 ukes & repeat at step #1"

I'm close to starting the program for the 4th time. Maybe MFT might be more effective.

Am soooooo going to change my Sig now.

I now own (all new since December 1, 2010):

5 ocarinas

4 ukuleles

1 cigar box strummer

10 new instruments in 4 months.

I think you left out the Partridge in a Pear Tree.

-Kurt

I was watching those 2 ukes on evil bay...good snag!

Wait a second....I'm VERY glad your UAS is helpful.....look at my signature, I have it worse than you, but let's not start a thread that bashes therapy. RyanMFT = Ryan, Marriage and Family Therapist.

Now, get out there and buy more ukes!

Hey Ryan! Thanks for your work!

We're actually colleagues!

My specialty is intergenerational family healing through complementary energy therapies and I work with many PTSD military and families dealing with deployment issues!

Many of my clients are social workers, therapists, nurses, school counselors, pastoral counselors, etc.

And I love therapies of many kinds -- my observation about the relative economics of Instrumental Retail Therapy was in no way meant as a "dis."

I just fill the ukuleles up with free-will-honoring Reiki modules and other energetic stuff, and voila, anyone playing them and/or hearing them gets a session, if it's right and perfect for them.

Makes Open Mic Night a veritable Love Fest.

i too have a terrible case of uas... purchased ~10 ukuleles for myself within the past year, not including 3 that i bought for my oldest daughter and 1 each for my wife, toddler daughter, and baby son. i buy ukuleles for everybody i know and try to convince them to let me teach them how to play. i don't get a chance to get out much anymore, so my sole source of recreation these days is uke playing... hey, but no complaints :)

My cousins live in Bucks County -- maybe one day I will also convert them to ukes. For now, they're under the sway of the Ocarina Onslaught!

Interesting ensemble here. I spend 35 years as an addictions program therapist and program administrator. I guess everyone knows what we do for therapy!

So you have UVS -- Ukulele Voyeur Syndrome.

I think RyanMFT could help you with that ...

Top Bottom