6 string uke?

I love mine. I bought one a few years ago and sold it and another uke to buy a Pono spalted mango 8 stringer and I just never fell in love with it, so I traded the 8 stringer and saved up my moneuy to get another 6 stringer. I play it more than any other uke that I own. It is a nice strummer and I enjoy it with my playing style.

I have a 6 made by GString and it shares time with my 8 string. I love the sound of both and they each have different "personalities".

I made a few 6 string Baritones for Kimo Hussey where the first 2 string are doubled. I had never heard of this before but It makes way more sense if you think about it. You can strum and get all that big sound but when you are ready to add in a little lead or melody, you have the two high string single. Kimo's playing also could be part of the reason it sounds so good...
Heres a link to a few songs he played with them. Each song is just one track. Notice how full they sound and still have a very clear melody line.
11-20-05002.jpg

Last edited:
That's interesting Eric. I've never seen them with the G & C courses doubled. I'm guessing the tone would be deeper. I've strung mine with the A in unison and a low g.

It ready does have a nice rich sound. I've only heard this configuration an baritones (which sounds incredible) but I'm sure a tenor would sound awesome too.

I liked the sound of the 6 string.....so I wanted one. Then I bought one (Kanile'a) love it, love the sound!! You gotta get one (or at least try to play one)

i'm currently in the "need one" category... FYI, i read this thread a little while ago and it was just enough to push me over the top to finally order one. i went with a lanikai O6E. thanks for supporting my UAS habit, BTW. i keep telling my wife that my collection will be complete once i get an 8-string and a banjo uke, but that's just bull :)

A 6 string tenor IS my next WANT...........................BO..................

Had one, sold it and miss it dearly...Will get another one in the near future...

I have a couple too...prefer the 4 strings better.....just gotta get into it I suppose...good for volume on gigs..

Top Bottom