lanikai lu21c vs cordoba 15cm

anatta

Reaction score
Hi-

Need help trying to chose beginner concert uke for 14 year old son. He plays guitar, but has become very interested in the uke, for sound, ease of play, and portability.

I'm down to making a choice at the local GC between a Lanikai LU22c (I guess it's GC's version of the LU21c) an a Cordoba 15cm. The Lanikai has some sharpness (painwise) to the fret ends as you slide around on the neck, but does have sealed tuners, whereas the Cordoba doesn't have the fret problem, but has open tuners.

Price is a wash, but can anybody share experiences with either of these two -- especially whether the Lanikai fret issue is common or a big deal -- to help me out?

Thanks

Frank

The LU22C has a little bit more bling than a regular LU21C (namely a rosette and gold tuners I think). I have tested one out a guitar center, sounds nice. I have also test out the cordoba 10cm (probably the close to the 15cm). It was also nice for the price. I would say they are both comparable. So, if I had a choice, I'd take the one without the sharp fret ends, they can't get quite bothersome after a long session. I have never filed fret ends, so I don't know how difficult it is, also if the fret ends are protuding out, it may mean the fretboard is too dry and has contracted a bit.

Aloha Frank,
Welcome to the UU and our forums...I like the Lanikai...they can be inconsistant..ask the retailer if you could try a couple different ukes and compare side to side...usually all ukes sound different even from
the same brand and models due to the many variables in the building process..Good Luck and Happy Strummings...MM Stan Find the Gem in the bunch so to speak...

Did you take him along and have him try out the ukes? Hey may have a preference. If you like the Lanikai I would ask to play any others they may have in the back and find one without the sharp frets.

I could bring him I guess, but wanted to surprise him.

Frank

I have a 15CM and its great. I bought it at Guitar Center. When I was there, I compared the Lanakais, Fenders, Mitchell and Cordobas and thought the tone of the Cordoba 15CM was better than the other ukuleles they had there within a hundred dollars of this price.

Last edited:
I have owned a Cordoba and Lanikai Tenor. I think Cordobas are good values. I would run with the cordoba but either will make your son happy i'm sure.

The Cordoba has a solid mahogany top....that is probably why, among other reasons, it sounds better to some. I don't believe the Lanikai does.

It's very difficult to purchase an instrument for someone else. You could tell him you have a surprise for him while getting in the car... I took a chance on getting my daughter a uke for Christmas, and got lucky, well, she had already told me she liked that one. My SO bought me a uke, and I hate it.
As for the two makers, I have tried the 15CM from Cordoba, and I like it. I have the 10CM, and I feel I got plenty of bang for the buck. I just love that little uke!

I don't think the 10 and 15 are identical. They look a lot different actually although they both have good reviews. The 15 is a different color and has binding on it and does not have a gig bag.

I don't think the 10 and 15 are identical. They look a lot different actually although they both have good reviews. The 15 is a different color and has binding on it and does not have a gig bag.

Right, that is why its is cheaper. I have played both and found that they are very close in every way.

Thanks to all responders-

Took another close look at the two choices at the GC, examining several examples of each choice from the stock room, and decided that since none of the Cordobas had any of the sharp fret issues and all of the Lanikais (I examined) were iffy in that regard -- and because the Cordoba also otherwise seemed pretty well made -- I ran with the Cordoba 15cm as a first uke for my son. If he takes to the uke, we can make a more informed decision on a second, upgraded uke down the line.

But now I want one!

Frank

Top Bottom