Just Got a U-bass

timscarey

Reaction score
So, I just got a U-bass yesterday and I've been playing some fun little bass lines on it. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good arrangements of popular songs for this instrument?

If not, any requests?.....:D

Now I was always under the impression a U-bass is just a tiny bass. So a normal bass arrangement works just the same?

Now I was always under the impression a U-bass is just a tiny bass. So a normal bass arrangement works just the same?

Yes, that's correct.

See if you can pull off "The Gates of Delirium" by Yes. That would be impressive on ANY bass!

How are finding it?
I picked one up in the shop and I just found the rubber band strings just too wierd.
Sounded great but too wierd to play.

How are finding it?
I picked one up in the shop and I just found the rubber band strings just too wierd.

I love it so far. I am primarily a bass player and have used it with my brazilian band.

The tone is just like an old p-bass with dead strings or a vintage hofner. The low E string is a bit hard to handle but if you pluck near the bridge you can get a good solid tone.

Yes, however, because of the super short scale and ease of plucking, I figure there has to be some arrangments that work on a U-bass that wouldn't work on a normal 4 string bass. Maybe.

I love it so far. I am primarily a bass player and have used it with my brazilian band.

The tone is just like an old p-bass with dead strings or a vintage hofner. The low E string is a bit hard to handle but if you pluck near the bridge you can get a good solid tone.

I'll have another play. I like the idea of having one.

The U-Bass is what lead me to the ukulele! I was a bass player looking for a small bass I could take with me anywhere. I checked out the U-Bass and that led to other short scale 4-stringed instruments!
I saw a YouTube video of someone playing Jaco's Teen Town on U-Bass, seemed pretty sweet.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIChdqx-cc0

How are finding it?

I thought so too the first time I played one in a store. I spent about 5 or 10 minutes on it. The next time I played one (also in a shop), I played it for about 20 minutes, and it started to feel less strange.

I got used to the feel, but I never got to where I really liked the feel. I do a lot of sliding and a little tapping and neither work well with the rubber strings. I'm keeping it in case I have problems with my wrist again (that was why I bought one, I'd reached the point where problems with my wrist were severely limiting what I could do on the bass). The biggest down side for the UBASS for me though was the complete lack of sustain. Even compressing the bejabbers out of it I just couldn't get any sustain. Them big ole' rubber strings stop vibrating pretty quickly no matter how hard you tug on 'em and when they stop vibrating all the compression in the world doesn't help.

I'm keeping it in case I have another bout with my wrist, and for when I need to do something really bouncy and complex that might aggravate my wrist if I tried it on the five-string, but it doesn't get much use now.

John

Top Bottom