My Stupid Uke Trick Captured on Video!

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
I've posted photos of this before, but here's a video of me doubling on uke and bass during a practice with The Stupid Band. This is one of the two bands I play bass with, and so far, the only band I've used the ukulele in. It's pretty awkward to play the bass with the uke hanging there, so I play a simpler part than I probably would have otherwise. We hadn't played this since October... this band only does two gigs a year (Halloween and Earth Day). I'm using my Mainland soprano with Mi-Si pickup.

Aloha Chris,
Sounds Awesome, I like it very much....sooooo cool man.....Now to order your custom double neck ukulele and bass....you would be the first on your block!!!Thanks for sharing, that was nice..MM Stan

That was really great Chris.. Maybe you need an eleuke soprano, it would be flatter and smaller around your neck...
Thanks for sharing that!

That was really great Chris.. Maybe you need an eleuke soprano, it would be flatter and smaller around your neck...
Thanks for sharing that!

I've thought of that, but it doesn't seem like it would be worth it for just one song played twice a year! Still, a good excuse to get one, I suppose...

Aloha Chris,
Sounds Awesome, I like it very much....sooooo cool man.....Now to order your custom double neck ukulele and bass....you would be the first on your block!!!Thanks for sharing, that was nice..MM Stan

I can already see it in my mind!

A man of so many talents. I loved it! You named your band Stupid? You always crack me up.

Chris how do you like your Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano? Is it real bright? Tell the truth does the pineapple shape really make a noticeable difference in sound or is it all hype? You can tell me, I won't tell anyone...

Do you really need an excuse? Besides UAS.. I love mine so much I can hardly put it down... It would be easier to play your bass under it because it's so much flatter.. Give MIM a call. yup I a enabling.. Then it would be easier to ride a unicycle too.. See problem solved!

A man of so many talents. I loved it! You named your band Stupid? You always crack me up.

Chris how do you like your Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano? Is it real bright? Tell the truth does the pineapple shape really make a noticeable difference in sound or is it all hype? You can tell me, I won't tell anyone...

I didn't name the band. I joined them 7 or 8 years ago, but they've been called that since they formed in the late '80s. It's an apt name though, and an endless source of jokes within the band.
This is my mahogany soprano, but I suppose you know that... Yes, to my ear the Pineapple DOES sound different from my other ukes. It is simultaneously bright because of the cedar, and a has a little more bottom because of the larger body. I suppose to really know what's caused by the wood vs. the shape, I should get a Mainland Red Cedar NON-pineapple... you know... just for comparison!

Now do it while riding a unicycle :)

And balancing a ball on your nose! :)

I've only mixed bass and uke one time and I was able to lay the uke on top of the grand piano next to me and pick it up when needed. I am considering ways to attach a uke to a bass though. Problem is I tend to hold the bass pretty high (like I noticed you do). To stick a uke above it I'd have to lengthen the strap some and get used to playing the bass down low.

John

cool Chris, I wish i could play an instrument, you can play two...at once!
don

Yes, to my ear the Pineapple DOES sound different from my other ukes. It is simultaneously bright because of the cedar, and a has a little more bottom because of the larger body. I suppose to really know what's caused by the wood vs. the shape, I should get a Mainland Red Cedar NON-pineapple... you know... just for comparison![/QUOTE]

Yes Chris do that, and then let me know. Better yet after you do that you can sell one to me at a bargain price because you have sooo many.:D

Hey... I think something was wrong with your bass amp... I could hear it ;)
NAWW JK!! I love bass! I have a friend who plays amazingly, and I love watching it! theres something special about it. Bass players just have a coolness ;) combining it with the uke was pretty dang awesome! loved the vid :D

Go Chris! Why only Halloween and Earth Day?

I don't know! That's all they've done for the past 10 or 12 years. They used to play a bit more, but scaled waaaaay back a few years before I joined. And yet, they want to practice EVERY SINGLE WEEK.... I wish we'd just gear up a month or two before the gigs, but I guess they enjoy it. I'd enjoy it way more if I had a speaker cabinet I could leave there all the time. Those things are HEAVY! My other band gigs about once a month, so I need the gear. I actually DO have another cabinet that I would like to use in the other band, but it's a gigantic Ampeg 8x10 cabinet which is currently residing in the garage of a former co-worker (I have no room for it at my house) ... I need to get it back to use in the country band, but the guy who has it has leukemia, and I don't want him to think that what I mean is "Hey Doug, I need to get my cabinet before you die". We used to play together some... he is a fantastic blues guitarist. We tried to get a band going but we could never really get all the elements to click.

I've posted photos of this before, but here's a video of me doubling on uke and bass during a practice with The Stupid Band. This is one of the two bands I play bass with, and so far, the only band I've used the ukulele in. It's pretty awkward to play the bass with the uke hanging there, so I play a simpler part than I probably would have otherwise. We hadn't played this since October... this band only does two gigs a year (Halloween and Earth Day). I'm using my Mainland soprano with Mi-Si pickup.

Nice slide guitar sound.

Top Bottom